Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Advice

After speaking with my consultant today, he has agreed that he will give me a c-section if that is what I really want. He obviously recommended a natural birth and we spoke lots about why I want a c-section (previous loss of twins). I know the decision is in my hands and he has asked for a decision at 34 wks (am currently 28 wks). I know the decision is ultimately mine but I would really like your personal answers to the this question if you have had a previous c-section
If you could have a vaginal birth which was guaranteed to be successful (hyperthetically speaking, as I know nothing is guaranteed), would you have the natural birth or would you have an elective c-section?

Hope this makes sense?
xxxx

Replies

• Hi honey, clearly this is totally up to you and only you can make the right decision based on how u feel and your circumstances but I thought I'd just tell u how I felt...
    I had c-section with daughter 5 yrs ago due to failure to progress/failed induction/fetal distress (it all just went terribly wrong!)and at the time I was devestated and couldn't understand why i was so crap at giving birth. I felt like i had missed out on the physical act of giving birth and that there must be something I did wrong. It hit me hard and it took ages to recover. So when i was pg with my second, I was offered a c-section straight away but I decided to go for VBAC as I really wanted tosee if I could give birth myself. I was also really worried about the recovery (esp with a 5 yr old to look after as well as baby) and whether I would feel so down about it again. I went really overdue and begged for an induction, thinking that if I could just get into labour, everything would be fine. So I had an induction (waters broken, then drip) which bought on severe contractions but no diation(which is what happened the first time too) and it ended in an emergency c-setion anyway. Sorry i know I am rambling on, my point really was that I decided to try for natural delivery to try to prove to myself that I'm not just rubbish at giving birth. I'm glad I did it even though I had a section, I realise now that it's not my fault, my body just isn't capable of dilating so nothing I could've done would have changed that. In fact, its made me feel better about the birth of my first baby.
    I hope this makes some sense to you! I am hoping to have one more baby at some point and this time I will be having an elective c-section! I feel at peace with the fact that unfortunately I cannot give birth naturally, mainly because I tried it again, I think I would've always wondered otherwise.
    Anyway, hope this answers your question. If I could choose again -elective or VBAC - i would go for VBAC every time even though there was a good chance it wouldn't work.
    Claudia + Braedon xxxxxx
  • I completly understand your worries. I am now 17 wks pg with my 2nd child, and am going through the same sort of thoughts. I had my 1st by emergency csection after a very long and stressful labour for both me and my son. So i too am considering an elective section. For me if i could be guaranteed a successful natural delivery i would def go for it. But you cant be guaranteed that, the same as you cant be guaranteed a successful csection!
    what i would say though is to make sure you are prepared for what happens to you after you've had a csection. You have to stay in hosp for longer, which some people dont mind- personally i hated it!! The recovery time is also alot longer and more difficyult than a natural del.
    my advice would be just to think it through very carefuly before you make your mind up, you still have few wks to decide. Hope this has been of some help to you.

:\)
  • hiya, i had an emergancy section with my 1st daughter a year ago and an elective section with my 2nd daughter 3 weeks ago, i always wondered if i made the right choice until i actually had my dd then i knew it was the right choice for me, if i could have been gaurenteed a "normal" VBAC (no stitches or tears or anything!) then i would have gone with that but like you say nothing is gaurenteed.
  • I'm in pretty much the same situation as tanroe.

I'm 12 wks and have already told my midwife that I'm not being taken in to be induced again. (I was in for 3 days being given pessaries but not dilating until they put me on a drip, managed to progress well but the little bugger decided to get stuck so had ventouse, forceps and then eventually an emergency c section)

I've said I would rather a c section than being induced again. Although not sure if I want to try VBAC if I go into spontenous (sp?) labour?

I have been told that I can be transfered back to my local hospital (midwife unit) after the birth. So I'm not as concerned as I was about the stay in hospital if I do have a C Section.
  • I had an emergency section when I had my daughter (8 yrs ago) and when I was pregnant with my son (now nearly 11 months) I was adamant that I wanted an elective section. This was down to in between having had an ectopic and then losing another at 22 weeks gestation - I just wanted to get this one out as quickly and safely as possible. The consultant really tried to put me off and go for VBAC but I was adamant and eventually they gave in and booked me for an elective section. Rory had other ideas however and came early and by the time I got to the hospital I was 9 cms dilated so no chance of a section. Birth was fine and very quick - but I did get 2nd degree tear and to be quite honest the recovery from the natural birth was longer and harder than from the section - plus you don't have the 'excuse' of just having had major abdominal surgery! The fact that I was nearly 8 years older may have contributed to my slower recovery but if I was to go again then I would definitely be opting for an elective - only asking for it to be booked earlier than this time!

Good luck with your decision and with the birth.

Gill x
  • Hi, I had a c-section with my son now 5 months.

I'm not sure tbh - I do think the recovery from a section is exaggerated by some. I had an emergency csection after 40 hours in labour and recovered great. I was walking around after 4 hours. The recovery from a natural delivery can be just as bad.

Having said that, I might opt for a VBAC next time round, as really do want to experience a natural birth x
  • i think if there were absolutely no risks and i could walk around or get in the water, no risk of tearing and good pain relief only then would i consider a vbac.
    baby is likely to be big this time, am measuring 4 weeks ahead and i have diabetes.plus with previous section i have to be constantly monitored and have a drip.
    i am still in a bttle with my consultant who feels that i have to try for a vbac wheres i want a c section.
    Filo x