Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Will I just be offered an elective?

I had an em-cs after a failed induction last year (was induced early due to GD) Im currently TTC no2 so i know its a long way off, but if i get GD again (which i think is likely) will i just be told im having an elective? as ive read and been told that they dont like to induce for a vbac....I wouldnt be disappointed, but wondered what my chances would be....

Replies

• regardless whether u get Gd again this time or not, for the fact u've had an em c section, u will be offered the choice as to whther u want a vbac or an elctive c section...some hospitals will induce for a vbac, but only with gels or pessary, they won't use the drip on vbac women as it carries a greater risk of scar rupture....so if u are after a vbac but find u have GD again and need to be brought on early they may try u with one or two gels, and then if that doesn't work go for a c section, unless of course u want an elective in which case u don't need any other reason other than u've already had one. hth xx
  • hi lea, i too had an emer c section 3 years ago and was so traumatic we decided not to have any more children, however i am 7 months with baby no2 and no, they will discuss with you an elective c section (which is my preference as i couldnt stand to go through the hell of last time again) but i have seen consultants over last month or so and its a no go. we have agreed that they will not induce, nor will i be left for 3 days after waters breaking like last time. i will have to go into labour and if it does not progress i will be taken for c section. i have also been booked in for a c section if i go 10 days over my edd and will not get induced in any form. im apprehensive but other than go private i must give it a go. its also a far quicker recovery time with a natural birth if possible which will be better with a toddler to look after too as longer recovery 2nd time round. ive read up quite a bit on it and spoken to 2 different consultants in different counties (recently moved) and they have both said the same thing to me. i feel that i am in great hands and will not have a repeat of last time where staff didn't notice the baby was stuck and couldn't have possibly given birth naturally, you will be far more closley monitored next time round so try not to worry. x
  • hi i had an emergancy 4 years ago. i have since had another baby and asked for an elective.. only thing i can say is stick to ur guns!! lol they will try to change ur mind ,hopefully this wnt happen with u but they do try and persuade u to have a vbac... at the end of the day its ur choice, my first experience was horrendous so i new straight away that i couldnt go thru a natural birth again!! hope all goes well with ttc!! xx