Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Babys position - caesarean?

Hi All

Been for 34 wk check today and baby is still transverse..... Midwife did not seem very confident that she woud move as is in an awkward position.....

Does anyone know what this means / have any experience of this?

Imagine it means caesarean?! If so do they take you in earlier than your due date?! x

Replies

• The midwife will probably try to turn your baby at about 38 weeks. If that doesn't work they will go through your options but a section is likely. My cousin was in the same position but the midwife managed to turn him before her section date.
  • if it is your first baby, it is unusual for them to be transverse, but not as such if you have had a baby before, so try not to worry too much.

the decision is usually made around 36 weeks to see if it is possible to turn the baby to head first, but there is no guarantee that a)it will work b)the baby will stay head first anyway. the procedure to turn the baby is called ECV (external Cephalic version) it can only be done by a doctor- (midwives cannot do it) in hospital, under strict regime, as there is a very slight chance that when they try and turn the baby that the placenta comes away and you end up with an emergency c/s anyway!

try not to worry to much, your lo may just do it on their own in the next few weeks!
  • they will prob end up giveing u a section hun but dont worry it ent all that bad cant be if im going 4 my 3rd in just ova 8 weeks but u never no mirricles do happen and she may just suprise every1 and turn at the last min. I ve heard it can do damage if thry turn baby at 38 weeks i personally wudnt let them unless it was dyer emergency cos u cud just end up havein a emergency section anyway which wud be rushed and horrible as iv had 1 and they ent fun tc hun xx
  • Hi All

I have also been for my 34week check today and have been told baby is breech and her bum is 3 thirds engaged.... I have to go back in 2weeks to check position and if still breech then will have to go to hospital to try and have her turned. I did not have anything else explain to me other than if it doesn't work a c-section would be the safest way to delivery and would be done a week before due date so I dont go into natural labour first. Hope this helps.

Has anyone had experience with this. What are the chances of her turning herself. I wasnt really expecting this today as she has been head down since 28weeks.

I really want a natural labour but also the only things that she is ok.

hope all mums and bumps ok.

• hi, i too have a breech baby, he is not yet engaged though. i have to go back to midwives next week to see if he has turned if not they said they would try ecv, but i am quite strongly opposed to this and would rather just have a section. Does anyone know if you can just request to go straight in with the section, or can they make you have the ecv first?

Nina 34+3 x
  • NICE recommendations are that you attempt an ECV as the risks associated with this (if successful and then have a vaginal delivery) are lower for you than if you have an elective c/s, but, yes, you are well within your rights to refuse one!
  • ouch thts all that comes tro mind lol
  • ouch thts all that comes tro mind lol
  • My daughter was head dwn till about 30 weks where she turnt breech. at 38 weeks i was offered to try and turn herr, after readin up on this i turnt the offer dwn and opted for a elective c ection...wud mch rather prefer a elective section to an emergency one. The ecv can put baby into stress, cord round neck , placenta eruption. i had my section on 29th Jan 09 at 38 weeks and 6 days pregnant and Chloe was a healthy 7lb 3. My expierence was great, no pain and really pleased with how it all went. Wen u first think of caesaean you think of bad things, i no i did, but anyone who has to go threw this dont worry its a very relaxin time