Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth

Advice on c-section

Hi Ladies,

I am currently 11 weeks pregnant with my second baby. I delivered my son vaginally, but his birth was very traumatic. My baby ended up in the NICU for 4 weeks and I was under the consultants care for 4 months after due to all of the complications.

Now that I am pregnant again I have been offered an elective c-section or can try to deliver the baby naturally again. I am completely at a loss as to what to do.

Previously I would have said section, but as Ive looked into it you see more and more stories of complications for mother and baby. Things like recovery times, blood loss, infections etc, and babies having breathing problems due to there lungs not having emptied all of the surfactant.

I would love to experience a happy delivery where my oh and i get to hold our baby and take everything in by whichever means, but paramount is the safety of my baby and myself.

I dont know anyone who has had a c-section, so would love to hear some advice other than that from the consultant/midwife.

Sorry its a long one!

Naomi

Replies

• Hi, i had am emergency c section due to mind and my baby's safety. I would think very carefully about it. The recovery period is longer and you do have heavy bleeding. My friend has 5 children and like you she had a bad natural experience and has had a c section with all the rest. She pain it was cos she could prepare. Sleep etc. Let us know what you decide
  • i had an emergency c-section with my daughter 4 1/2 yrs ago due to fetal distress and the after discomfort was awful.I heamoraged in theatre aswell and remember the moment clearly when my doctors was calling me to check i was ok slapping my face!
    i woulndt wish a c-section on my worst enemy i'm afraid i didnt feel like a mum after the birth for a little while cos i felt they done the work for me.I am nearly 15wks with my second and am praying for a vaginal birth this time.With ashton i had pethiden fell asleep for 3hrs went from 2-9cm in that time flat on my back so i'm thinking it might be quick this time!!!!if i can stay more mobile.

Please think carefully about your decision and whats best for you,everybody reacts differently to the recovery no 2 people are the same

best of luck kelly
    xxxx
  • hiya, i had an emergancy section last year with my dd, it wasnt the best experience of my life but i am pg with baby number 2 and have decided to go for a section and am booked in for monday! people say 2nd sections are easier then having an emergancy one so fingers crossed they are
  • Hi Ladies,

Thanks for all sharing your stories and advice!
    To be honest im still not alot further on in making a decision but it was nice to hear things from a personal perspective and not just a medical one.

I will keep you posted.

Naomi xx
  • I personally will be having a c-sction for my other births whenever that happens as natural labour was awful I had a really long and painful time and ended up with an emergancy one and the recovery was brilliant, out in 2 days a tiny little scar, no pain killers after bout 3 days and minimal bleeding.

Whatever you decide though im sure it wont be like your first birth as no two are the same, good luck

• hiya i had to have a c section as my lo was breech it went really well with no complications..i recovered after 4 weeks its not as bad as you may think.x
  • hi, i had an emergency c section 11 weeks ago after 24 hours of labour and failed forceps. i recovered a lot quicker than i would of thought but i think it depends on your own body. Theres no denying its painful afterwards, but after the labour i had it was a blessing to get cam out safely!
    your recommended not to drive and things for 6 weeks, but i felt ok after 2.5 weeks to drive so i rang the insurance to get covered.
  • i had a section as my boy was breech. That was 9 months ago and my scar is still tender. It can take up to a year to fully recover, i certainly wouldnt say it was an easy option but then again a havent had a natural birth. The section itself wasnt too bad (and i have a phobia of needles, hospitals etc) just a very strange experience with the sensations you feel, but you dont feel any pain during the operation. For me personally it was a very long recovery due to pain from the surgery. After 2 months it was just a niggling annoying discomfort!! Everyone recovers differently and at different paces. I was in hosp for 3 nights. One thing i did find hard was not being able to reach my baby to change nappy and feed etc, but i was lucky as the midwife was on hand. This is because it takes a while for the spinal to get out your system and also i was catheterised for 24 hours after. They do encourage you to get up and about as soon as possible but for me this was the next day. I didnt like not being able to see to my baby for the first 24 hours. Despite all this i have a healthy beautiful baby and i would do it all again at the drop of a hat. Good luck xx;\)