Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth

elective c section

hi ladies i had my my daughter my emergancy c section.
i would like to have a planned c section when i have another baby does anyone know if you can ask for one
and how many are you allowed to have altogether

thankyou xxx

Replies

• Yes is the answer. I had to have an emergency cesearean with my son 3 years ago and i have requested an elective one this time for my baby due in July. Im sure when they look at your notes from when you had your daughter they would understand your decision. I had a rough time with my son and have decided to go straight to elective section. The midwives were supportive and i have been booked in for a section when i am 38 weeks and 5 days. I asked how many you are allowed to have and how many are safe, and the answer is they reccomend 3 safely but people have known to have 5/6 but of course it starts to present problems when you have that many.

Im sorry this is a long answer but your situation is exactly the same as me and just wanted to give you advice

Stacey 28 weeks xx
  • thankyou for replying i would love another baby but scared after my last but i would love a planned c section next time round x
  • You are not alone Diana, I had my son by emergency c-section after a 65 hour labour and him being in distress. The whole thing led to him being in special care for a week although he is fine now and doing well at 19 months old. I am now pregnant again (15 weeks) and have got an appointment with the consultant on Tuesday to discuss my birth plan for this time. I am also hoping to ask for an elective c-section this time and think they will be supportive. But I am happy to let you know how it all goes and what they say after the appointment.

Amy. x
  • thankyou amy that would be great x
  • Dr's usually are very supportive of requesting elective c/s, but beware that not all do!!

our trust now gives you a letter saying "Congrats on your new baby born by c/s, but next time, we encourage VBAC's so see how you go!" sort of thing!! i did laugh when i saw it!!

as for how many - the answer is when you want to stop, but it is recommended in the UK no more than 3. i have heard in America they say no more than 2, but as said, it is a recommendation only!
  • would u advise asking before i try for another baby x
  • what i would say to consider is that if you could only have vaginal delivery would you def not have another baby?

some women have such a bad time that they wouldnt ever have another because of the fear of labour - if this is your case, then yes, i would def ask for an appointment with an Obstetrician before you get preg again.

if possible, you need to see the doc you were under last time, with your notes, and go through everything that happened so that you can decide between yourselves what is the best plan to take.

as i said before, most dr's are very supportive, but you can get some that will refuse to do it, and they are within their rights to do this, if they feel that it is in yours /your lo best interests to have a VBAC.

once you have been seen (it could take a while depending on your Trust), you may feel better about VBAC anyway, or you could have the elective that you want at the moment.

go see your GP for the referral if you want, but dont let him fob you off with "you'll be fine" or anything!!

good luck!! (and let me know how you get on!!)

if you need to ask me anything else, just reply!
  • i am scared cos the 1st time i had signs of pre eclampsia,high blood pressure,and then my baby got stressed and had merconimum inside me so they took me in for a emergancy c section x
  • i know!! it isnt quite that blunt, but i did think oh my word, youve only just had the baby and next time..........!! it makes me laugh as well that before women go home, we ask them have they decided what contraception they will be using!! - erm, what about 5 million stitches, sore boobs and a crying baby? :lol:

Diana, do you know that there is a possibility that you may get pre-eclampsia again? it doesnt always reoccur, but there is a higher risk if you have had it in previous pregnancies. i think that it would be a good idea to get things discussed before you have another, then you have some idea of what to expect

xxxxxxxxx
  • That happened to me too Ollier! It wasn't in a letter but the midwife came to talk to me in recovery when my baby was in NICU and before i'd even had a chance to hold/meet him (he got rushed off straight away) she was discussing my natural delivery for my next one!! I asked if i could just meet this one first please!

Anyway, my consultants appointment went ok today Diana. He seemed very pro- VBAC but did say it was ultimately my decision if i wanted to go for an elective c-section, which i can decide at my 34 week appointment. He was very supportive of my previous experience though and recommend i have an appointment with a 'birth afterthoughts counsellor' to discuss and bad feelings i have about my first labour and birth and my fears for this one and said that would help make my decision. I am still not sure how i feel, before the appointment i would say i was erring towards an elective section but he was very positive about having a VBAC. He wrote in my notes that the success rate for VBAC at our hospital is 60-70% so not great but not bad either. So i'm really undecided! My first was 2 weeks overdue and induced in the end but they wont induce me this time due to increased risk of scar rupture so if i went overdue it would most likely end in another section. So part of me thinks i may just opt for one straight off and at least be able to plan as the odds seemed stacked against it. I need to have a long think about it all really. Hope some of this helps - let me know if you need any more advice or just want a chat.

Amy. x
  • yes ollier i did no it could happen again i surpose i would be watched more wont i
    thanks amy thats great at least he didnt say no to you i have spoke to someone who said because of my prevouis complications then she thinks they will let me go straight for a c section next time .
    hope it all goes well for you amy x and thanks ollier for your help x