Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Probably a daft q

I apologise in advance if this is a daft q. Im going for a elective csection in about 2wks. Do you need to take a outfit and nappy with you when you go down to the theatre or do the hos provide a nappy etc?Also how long was it before they take out your catheter and drip? Thanx xx

Replies

• Options
    Your hospital will advise you of all of this before they take you down but yes, you are told to bring a nappy and babygro with you down to theatre. At my hospital they gave Poppy to her daddy after weighing her and then the midwives put her nappy on and put her clothes on.
    I had my section at midday and they took the catheter out the next morning, they left the drip on for the same amount of time but left the syringe thing in my hand until they had checked for anaemia in case you need a transfusion, I think that was later that day but I'm not sure.
    Best of luck.
  • Options
    Yey! You're almost done with your pregnancy! Soon your baby will be in your arms, and have the prettiest shaped head!
    My hospital provided everything for me.
    You should get a letter in the mail from the hospital explaining everything to you, if not, the definately call asap just to be sure what's going on and what you need.
    Cath came out 2 mornings after (I had her at 10:05pm) and it didn't really hurt coming out it felt like a pinch?? Does that describe it?

Good luck
    Ps you are sooo lucky you're done already!
  • Options
    Similar experience for me too.

When the midwives were getting me ready for theatre, they asked me to get a nappy, vest and sleep suit out of my bag ready to go down with me.
    They then dressed her while they were sorting me out, after she had been weighed etc.

My catheter came out the following morning, it largely depends on how mobile you are as well. The midwives on my ward were disagreeing as to when I could have it removed, but one of them argued that seeing as I was walking to the loos to empty the bag, then I may as well have it removed altogether.

Good luck with everything.
    xx
  • Options
    I was different lol I wanted to take my own stuff down but the midwife wouldnt let me, they swaddled Holly when she was born in towels ect and she didnt get dressed or a nappy on her till we got to the ward.
    I had cathater out the next morning and the drip the night after my c section. Good luck Im sure it will all go great xxx
  • Options
    My experience was the same as Donna's!

Think you will be going in the day before to have your bloods done so maybe you could ask at the maternity ward then on the policy at your local hospital or your midwife will be able to tell you!

Congratulations on getting your date and look forward to hearing your lo has arrived!

Love Lee
    xxxxx

• Options
    The hospital put a nappy on my lo in theatre (hospital gave me loads of pampers nappies as well even tho I took my own) and wrapped him in sheet and blanket (no clothes) & handed him to my oh, I think it does vary. Then when they took me back a midwife dressed him and gave him to me.
    I was mobile 4 hours after my section (I had section at 3.30am it was an emergency one) and they took my drips out then but the midwives refused to take my catheter out until at least 24 hours had gone past, it was a pain because i was walking around with it and getting tangled up when I was settling my lo lol x
  • Options
    My hospital put a nappy on my lo and they had baby theatre gowns which she was dressed in. They wrapped her in a blanket and also a blanket of mine that was a receiving blanket and she was then handed to her Daddy while I was being stitched up.
  • Options
    Hi l asked my mw yesterday and she said l dont need to take anything down, they have nappies but she said my baby wld have a wash/bath 6 hrs afterwards so no point dressing him. Strange how diff hos work.
    xx
  • Options
    my experience was similar cathetar removed after 12 hours and Abby was swaddled in towels handed to hubby till i was stitched up then i was lucky cos they unwrapped her and me and we got wrapped up together to go up to the ward it was fantastic having that skin to skin contact that i missed with my son we stayed like that for about an hour in the ward by then she had had a suckle and they put a nappy on her and swaddled her in towels and gave her back to hubby while i had a sleep
    fea x