Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Need a bit of advice please

Hi ladies,

I'm just looking for some advice really as i'm having a planned c-section and am petrified. I saw my midwife on Monday to be told that after baby being head down all the way through she is now transverse. I also have SPD and varicose veins and i am concerned about the veins bursting and bleeding too much if she were to turn and i went for a natural birth. Which is why i thought it would be safer to have a c-section.

I need to wait until i see the MW again on the 10th August. Will she send me to see a consultant that day or will i have to wait longer do you know? I'll be 37+2 when i see her next.

Do i get a choice of spinal block or epidural, how long will i be in hospital for after the operation and does it hurt? I'm sorry for all the questions i'm just so scared and my MW is not very helpful at all :\(

Sarah xx
35+4

Replies

• Hi Sarah,
    I've had both an emergency section and a planned one and all I can say is try not to worry so much! Birth was never going to be easy under any circumstances and my sections were really very uncomplicated. image

It is largely up to you how long you stay in hospital for. As long as the midwives are happy that you are ok and the baby is feeding well, they'll let you go. Remember you'll get a midwife visit at your house within 24 hours of leaving hospital, so you won't have to manage all on your own straight away - help should be at hand if you need it. At least it was here where I live.

After the emergancy section I was out on day 3 and with the planned one I stayed in hospital for 2 days - and that was with twins.

The procedure itself is not painful, although a bit uncomfortable and ... well just plain surreal really. But not painful. I don't know if you get to chose between epidural and spinal - I didn't, and wouldn't want to to be honest. I want someone qualified to make that descision! image I had a spinal on both, but on the second section they also put in an epidural in case I needed a "to up" during surgery. I was having twins and the placenta was in a potentially problematic palce so they weren't sure how long the suregery would take. As it was there were no complications. Phew!

The important thing post surgery is to keep on top of your pain medication when you get home. I forgot second time aroud as I got too used to just getting the pills handed to me in hospital, and then after a while it started to get sore. But once I got on top of the pain relief again I was fine.

After my second section my hospital offered me a bedside cot (one that sort of hangs of the side of the bed) so that I wouldn't have to get up/sit up to get to the babies. Ask for one of these as it can get a little difficult to sit up properly straight away. All they can say is no if they don't have thm.

And as for your MW - just ask till you get the answers you need. She should be there for you!

I was 37+3 btw on my planned section, and depending on how your baby is maturing I suppose they seem to do planned sections any time after 37 weeks. And ofcourse it depends on the hospital and how busy they are. For obvious reasons they prioritise the emergencies so you might have to wait a while on the day. We were told to show up at 8:30, but didn't get in till 11... Bring a book! image

Good luck - I hope it all works out for you! Needless to say it is different for everyone!

Janne

• Thank you both for your replies.

Janne that has really helped thank you for answering my questions. Think i will give the MW another call and ask her to get things moving so i can see the consultant sooner rather than later.

Thanks again

Sarah xx
    35+5