Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

ECS - What to pack and essentials for after..

Hi Ladies,

I am 36+4 and my little lady is still breech. I have a midwife appointment tomorrow where she will confirm, book a scan and refer me to hospital. I've known she was breech since 32 weeks and done some research and decided I would go with ECS for delivery.What I am wondering is what were your 'best bits' from your hospital bag or what did you wish you had with you?

My hospital bag was going to be purely essentials, anticipating being home after 6 hours/1 night but I don't think that will be sufficient if the stubborn little lady doesn't turn, and I really don't think she will. Ever since OH's mum told me he was delivered feet first I knew she would be a bugger :lol: I don't want to take loads but will leave piles of things for OH to bring in on a daily basis.

Also when you got home was there anything you did to make things easier? We have a changing unit and I wonder if I should bring this down into the living room as I was planning on changing her on a mat on the floor but I don't think I'll be able to after a section :roll: I really don't have a clue.

Any tips or reccomendations would be great. Hope all ladies and babies are doing well xx

Replies

• Big, big pants Beth! The bigger the better! Now all I have to do is wean myself off of them (LO is 4 months)! I had an em c section and a boo boo I made was to have pjs with me instead of a nightie. Because of the catheter I couldn't wear my bottoms!

I didn't move anything around at home and felt okay going up and down stairs. In fact, my only issue was getting in and out the bath - I found that really hard work.

Hope it all goes well xxx
  • Hi

i found that the drugs they gave me to contract my stomach muscles made me really sick for the first 8 hours after have my cs, therefore i found a pack of wipes really good for refreshing my face etc as there was no way i could manage to stand up and get to the bathroom.

S x
  • HUGE knickers, extra maternity pads, to put over ur scar to keep it dry and stop any lower rise knockers/toursers rubbing. alos agree with when u go home have a pillow or cushion ready to stick between ur tum and the seatbelt, and ask for warnings if they're going over humps, also use a pillow or cushion on ur tum and apply soem pressure if u need to sneeze/cough/laugh. i found having that sparyy on savlon was great for keep the wound clean, and use a sponge for in the shower not a flannerl or scrunchy thing. some babywipes:refresh wipes are also a good idea, think u can get those deodarant wipes now too (i took some when i went on holiday for at the airport) maybe some dry shampoo too as very much doubt u'll be able to shower the first day. we had a change table with ds, and even though i had an em c section its only been used about 3 times, and that wasn't until he was about 17weeks and went in his own room, before that just changed him on the bed (i sat on bed with legs out stretched and layed him between them) and in he day changed him on the sofa in the same way or on the dining table. also some saline solution/wound wash for in the bath at home. perhaps soem arnica too (didn't take this with ds but regardless of c sec or vbac this time i'll be giving it ago as its said to speed up helaing process). hth, and good luck

xx 25+6

oh and ps KayeCee, ds is 17months and i still ahven't managed to wean myself off the big pants!! not much point now that number 2 is on the way, will have to get even bigger ones for her arrival and then try and wean myself off in the new year lol, infact think that may be my new year's resolution xx
  • hehe, loving the 'low rise knockers'!! Is that what happens when you have two children WOW baby?!

I second big pants. Otherwise the same as usual. Probably more of everything as youll be in longer but thats it!!

I had no problems with my scar. was lifting the pram in and out of the house after two wks. I hardly had any pain, and refused pain killers after a couple of days! Hope it goes well for you

Em x
  • I second big pants! lol. And yes a nightie due to you having a catheter in for the first day. Wipes are essential as you'll feel a bit grotty, especially the first 12 hours if you can't get to the shower yet.

A big dark coloured towel for showering (first one is messy!).

More nibbles because hospital food is a bit dubious lol - and something to read, although if you're like me I just lay there staring at my georgous new baby the whole time lol.

Best of luck if you do have a esc, mine was a positive experience and I was fine and back driving and doing normal stuff after 2 weeks. I put the changing mat on the kitchen table and that was my changing station to start with as you're right getting up and down off the floor wouldn't have been advisable if you want to heal quickly. If you have a cot top changer maybe that would be as good, although you're then slightly reaching upwards so a kitchen/dining table would be best in my mind.

Maternity pads were too bulky for me, just normal towels were sufficient so I ended up binning the maternity ones after about 2 days!

hope this helps xx

• lol @ low rise knockers! obviously i was suposed to say kniockers, perhaps a freudian slip there as they certainly aren't pointing upwards anymore lol, and baby2 isn't even here yet! xx
  • BIG BIG PANTS lol
    and money for the bedside phones. This is something I forgot to do and couldnt contact anyone as my mobile phone also decided to die on me!!
  • I just have to say thank you for this post. I am going in for an elective c-section on 1 October and was also just going to post something and ask for advice....you have all answered my questions!!! Thank you!! x
  • Thank you so much for all the great advice ladies, however I have just got back from my presentation scan and the little monkey has turned and is now head down so fingers crossed she stays that way now and we can have the birth I had originally wanted.

Thanks again though & Bronz1010, I hope all goes well with your section :\) x
  • was just about to add my thirding (fourth/fifthing lol!) of BIG pants, got to the bottom of the thread and saw your bubs has turned! fantastic news, hope everything goes well for you :/)
    and good luck Bronz
    xx
  • i would personally still buy the big pants though, coz they go over the blubber belly thats left, and also cater for the loofers of maternity pads. xxxx
  • I know you are no longer in need of this info but thought it might benefit somebody else.

I have found the u shape feeding pillow invaluable following my emcs. Especially first few days at home. Not sure it's an essential but it helped me. Takes tbd weight and strain away when I have been breastfeeding and that's quite a lot of the time lol!
  • Yep big pants are the way forward! Also tho I found a hand held fan the most useful thing ever as the hosp are always soooo hot- even in winter!
    And face wipes as sometimes even with a natural birth its hard to get up and have a wash, at least if you've had a wipe you feel a bit deccent! Good luck xx