Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Elective C section and annoying midwifes UPDATED

Hi ladies just need a rant

I'm so annoyed had my 25 week appointment today with a different midwife and yet again I'm getting asked my reasons for wanting an Elective C section and its really starting to pee me off.

I had my daughter 5 years ago by emergency c section due to her being back to back (this i only found out at my consultant appointment) It was a horrible experience something which i don't want to go through again i dilated fine but was left pushing her for over 2 hours then forceps and then before i know it my husband was rushed out the room and i was put to sleep.. I didn't get to hear my baby's first cry or to cuddle her i had her at 03.21 my husband left at 6am and i was left in a room by myself in total shock not able to move i could hear my baby cry i could see the back of the head but could not touch her or reach out to her, My first cuddle with her was at 8.30 nearly 5 hours after she was born and i really really do not want to go through that all again.

Now i feel like I'm a bad mother because i won't try for a VBAC nearly every midwife i have spoken to have given me the lecture on giving birth than opting for an elective c section and it's really starting to pee me off.

Does any one else feel the same way ? i Hate having to explain my reasons as every time i think of my daughters birth it brings back bad memories.. So far i have had to tell 4 midwife's my reasons and yet i feel as though my reasons are not great for wanting to have an Elective C section which really gets my blood boiling.

Sorry rant over just needed to get it off my chest :lol:

[Modified by: Novembermummy on 21 October 2010 13:28:33 ]

Replies

• Your reasons sound perfectly valid for wanting an elective! It's your body, your baby. Simply rise above it chick. I felt the same having to justify my descision to give up BF (I know it's a bit diff) but once I had made my mind up I was quite resolute in talking about it and did so in a way that implied it wasn't up for discussion x
  • I've only had one baby (cs) so I can't help but why not just be blunt. Can't you tell them you have your reasons, that you don't want to go over them again and ask that they respect your opinion? Might be difficult but one way around you having to do it time and time again.

Wishing you lots of luck xx
  • I would start to get really ratty with them and ssay that you have talked it through already thanks and if they want to know the reasons to read your notes. Be short with them and they'll get the messageimage

Em x
  • i know what you mean, i had a horrendus birth with my dd basically
    induced, hyperstimulation, back to back, had water broken, mec in waters, baby distressed, 2nd degree tear, episiotomy, focepts delivery and hemmorage (sp) left with pelvic floor problems

When i first saw my midwife i told her i wanted a c section this time and was told there was no chance and i should forget it. I was then allowed to see a consultant at 27 weeks due to the hemmorage and she was brilliant, talked me through everything and agreed that a c section was the best option for me this time.
    I have anti natal again in a few weeks and im waiting for the funny looks/comments but also cant wait to tell her the consultant agreed with me lol

Dont worry about it hun, c sections are not given out lightly, like pp said just tell them to read your notes xx
  • i feel you annoyance at having yet another MW, if you get asked again i would just say you have your reasons which have been discussed with your consultant and you dont wish to go over them again, i will have that decision to make when we get pregnant again x

good luck with the rest of your pregnancy and with your section x
  • Thanks for all your lovely replies ladies

I have now got my tough boots and think Hormones are kicking in ha ha ha so going to stick by my decision and tell them I'm not interested in what they have to say.

I wouldn't mind but i never even got a lecture from the consultant she was all for it and even said she had an emergency and with her 2nd opted for a Elective so didn't blame me.. Just hope the consultant at my 36 week appointment is as understanding.

Aww Emma babe that must be horrendous poor love xx Yep defo going to tell the next midwife that asks me why.. I'm too posh to push ha ha ha xxx

Thanks again ladies for all your replies cheered me up xx
  • haha emmalou, love that one, it would certainly stop her in her tracks.

at the end of the day its your choice, and you get it either way, i opted for a VBAC (which is less common than an elective section) and got sick of them saying, 'well done, you're trying for a natural birth'. BUT i only opted for a VBAC because i had had 2 vaginal births prior to my section so i know it can be done and also i had a just turned 2 yr old, if my section was my first birth i don't know what my choice would've been.

xxxxx
  • what ever is best for you and baby is best and if that is a c section then that is best.
    I sympathise with having a general anaesthetic as i found that the worst of all as waking up not pregnant yet not knowing if you have given birth is horrendous
  • Hiya
    It sounds like you had an awful experience with your first and seems a perfectly good enough reason to want an elective this time.
    With the midwife I would just be really adamant that you do not wish to discuss it with her and to either read your notes or go and speak to the other midwives that you have had.
    Ive got my appt with the consultant in 3 weeks (20week scan) and want to have an ECS due to hvaing a bicornuate uterus and the high possibility of baby being breech or back to back. So to save the stress and the anxiety of b-day i want an ECS. I just feel i need to convince everyone know that I know what I want and whats involved and Im not going to leave the appt till the consultant agrees! Oh the hormones!!!

Good luck sweetie, stay strong!
  • I know how u feel i had my DS nearly 5 years ago was in labour 4 36 hrs baby was back to back contractions every 2 mins & only ever got to 2cm so had an emcs

I'm now 32 weeks with No 2 & want a C-Sec again i did my back in at begining of yr so got trapped nerves & probs with a few of the bottom back discs we saw a vbac midwife in aug & she has said i need a C-Sec which i was really relieved with but we have an app on 29th Oct to c consultant & should get a date but terrified that they won't let me now have another C-Sec but i really couldn't do a natural birth the thought scares the shit out of me so hoping in 2 weeks i get the answer i really want
    Sorry for the rant/moan just gettin scared now

Billie xx
  • Aww thanks for your replies ladies

I have my consultant appointment this Wednesday so everything crossed they say YES, How ever after my last 34 week Midwife appointment the midwife did seem to think little man is Back to Back and i really hope she is right so at least i have something to back me up as i don't want history to repeat itself.

Will keep you up to date, Good luck Mrsallen08 and Oaksmummy
  • Well that was not half as bad as i thought it was going to be image

The consultant was understanding she told me she would not bully me and if that's what i want then that's what i get image so I'm all booked in now for the 12th of November when i get to meet my little man and I'm ever so excited, She told me i would have a lot better experience this time around and to enjoy it and i can't bloody wait he he he

3 weeks 1 day and counting xx
  • great news, not long until you meet your LO, good luck!
  • good news hun, had an emcs with lo3 and went on to have a vbac with lo5, i am now expecting lo5 and too be truthful i am seriously contempleting and elective, my last experience of giving birth to a boy was unpleasant, he too was back to back, was also oblique, in distress and i had an infection, and that was after 7 odd hours of labour, and since this lo is a boy and the pregnancy is already panning out like lo3's i really am considering it, just scared to go through the pain and end up in theatre again and then a 6 month recovery, when i could just have an ecs, not endure any labour pains, and have just a 6 week recovery xxx
  • Great news hun! My appt is on Nov 4th so hopefully i will have something to report back then! I have a female consultant so hopefully she will be understanding. Im taking hubby for back up! Not because I will get upset, but because i get angry if i dont get my own way! lol
  • Thanks ladies and best of luck to you all

The 2 consultants that i have had have been wonderful and understanding its the midwife's I have had a problem with GRRR but i know have my own way and one last appointment at the midwife then done image
  • While I can't comment on your reasons for having an elective (I hate calling it that - mine was a planned section! lol) as my reasons were very different but I can sympathise with your experience with mw's! Not all are the same but the ones I came across were very similar to yours.

I was having a planned section from day 1 as I had identical twins who shared a placenta and, after much research, this was the safest route. My consultants (I saw a different one every 2 weeks but thats a different story!) all agreed with me (bar 1) and the section it was. However, the midwives I encoutered were all very critical (outwardly!) of my decision. I did say to the last one that she needed to do more research, as I had, because then she wouldnt even dream of questioning my motives! That shut her up! lol

Hope everything goes well for you xxx
  • Well done Gemmie!

Im seeing the consultants tomorrow for the first time so hoping they will agree with me for a PLANNED section! Writing down all my evidence today so I acn be prepared! Feels like I am going for an exam!