Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

EMCS feeling rubbish

has anyone got any advice. i ahd an EMCS and feel a bit shell shocked still.

i am happy that everyting was done to make sure my little girl was born safely but feel like I am not equiped to recover. i dont; know what to expect and feel rubbish.

my scar is neat but my tummy is numb and flabby and just hanging and jiggly there, staring at me reminding me of how wrong things went!

I can't do anything or lift anything and can hardly walk properly. I know these things are normal but was so uinprepared that i feel like it's not me looking back in the mirror.

I have a 10 year old son too and can't remember how i was after that vaginal birth. I know it took a while for my belly to go down etc, and i kow these things will take time but I feel like I will never be the same again and just need some reassurance,

Can my tummy ever regain some kind of strength or will i be bent over with a kanagroo pouch forever!?????

excuse my typing but haven;t got the enegry to bother going over it

Replies

• Congrats on the arrival of your little girl xx

Not sure how long ago your cs was, but I was ok after a couple of weeks and able to do most things including driving - although I still did take it steady for a few more weeks as I didn't want to risk doing anything to slow down the healing of the scar inside. I followed docs orders and no hoovering, lifting, avoided bendng etc - so used the kitchen table as my changing station lol. I do think this paid off though and think this was why I was "back to normal" so quickly.

I'm 3.5 months on now and am starting to lose the baby weight and it's definitely getting better around the belly/scar area - although I do still have a bulge above it but then I have another stone to go really and that's just to get to pre-preg weight and a size 12-14. It was hard not being able to get out and about straight after the CS which means I was/you're a bit behind on getting active/losing the baby weight - but just prepare yourself for doing that in time.

You're bound to feel a bit shell shocked due to it being an EMCS, give yourself time to heal and be kind to yourself - don't over do and it say YES when people offer to help vacuum etc, it really is worth it for you to relax for now as much as you can with a new baby and a 10 year old! xx
  • I am only 2.5 weeks post surgery and i think that I had been holding onto the due date as a date when I would get to be free of all the pain I had so feel so let down by having another hurdle to climb now.

I feel like at least when I was pregnant I looked nice. now i feel rubbish and nlook like a pile of steaming crap too!

i feel like I have been good and not lifted etc. I am not even thinking about weight loss as such but I just have never felt such a change from pride to shame in my body before i guess,
  • I can relate to that I guess, I felt really rubbish about myself as I was in maternoty gear for a bit longer as it was looser around my scar, and I just felt uncomfortable and unattractive - am starting to feel better in that respect but I've got to be honest I still feel really frumpy and horrible image I felt so proud to be pregnant and stick my belly out lol.

At least my CS was planned so I was emotionally prepared for surgery, a scar, struggling for a while etc - I feel for you having the shock of it and no time to get your head round it.

Sorry that doesn't help much does it!! lol, hope WE both feel more like our normal selves soon xxx
  • I think that because I am so tired and don't look like my normal self either I feel totally alien. I relate totally to that proud feeling of having a glorious bump.

I really should have considered a caesarean beforehand so I wouldn;t have felt so shocked by it.

i also hope we both feel better & normal again soon x

thanks a lot for your kind words. it makes me feel less alone x
  • Hey Hun, I had an emcs 7 1/2 weeks ago. And only at about 5 weeks did I feel normal. Nobody prepares you for the effect it has on you, and ur ability to care for ur baby. Not being able to hold my little girl & feed straight away, was a shock to the system. It will get better Hun, try getting out with te pram if u can, because I found being couped up made it worse. My scar has healed real well, but am numb above & below still, which I read is normal image. Keep as active as u can, without over doing it. I also lost a lot of blood & had to self inject for 6 weeks with anti DVT injections. It's alot to cope with physically & mentally, but ur little girl is safe now. That's what helped me overcome everything. Talking about it too I found helped. I also have a saggy belly & a million stretchmarks!! Chin up Hun, trust me it gets easier image) xxx
  • know the feeling hun, i did absolutely jack in the first few weeks, as physically couldn't, i could'nt even stand up straight until about 6 weeks afterwards. i struggled to get out of bed and in and out the shower, after 6 weeks i fetched my kids from school (during my recovery time i had a fab friend that took them and fetched them every day), just getting out and moving i felt loads better. all my pain didn't subside until about 6 months, but i just put that down to me being a big old wuss xxx
  • thanks for sharing guys. it does feel better knowing that I'm not just being an ungrateful cow!

Charleygirl, I also lost a lot of blood and had to self inject too and have ridiculous bruises on my arms because of it to add to everything else image

it's good to know I will improve so thanks guys x
  • Hi jubilee, my emcs was 2 weeks ago, and I guess I feel the same as you. It is draining trying to recover and look after a baby at the same time. I've been back on my feet fairly quickly mainly because I hate sitting around doing nothing but I do feel shocked about the birth, I feel like I have missed out on delivering my baby vaginally although I know it's really stupid as I just did what was best for my little girl. I think a lot is down to hormones, plus the injections and other pills you have to have after a c section male you realise what a big deal it actually is. You need to take your time, eat well and rest whenever she lets you
  • i think most em csec ladies feel rubbish, my son is now 8 months and i have manged to get rid of my jelly belly but its taken a long while, i do a class once a week so if i had the time i could have got rid of it sooner, i started at 17 weeks post section at my class,

my scaris still numb but that will still take a while to come back, i didnt drive for 6 weeks as you are not insured before and TBH i could bearly walk up the stairs let alone break. i found the recovery really hard and ended up back in hospital after 10 days with a open scar, it wasnt until after that i slowed down, its so hard not to do when you have a baby or other children, i also had low blood levels when i left hospital which didnt help, also didnt help that i was stuck there for 5 days as LO wasnt feeding well and i had a rash on my tum,

i was so unprepared and i think that was the worst thing, i expected to be out of hospital the same day and up and about, i also expected BF top be a breeze another problem we had,

congrats on your new arrival x

• I, like you pigypops expected to be home the same day so still feel shell shocked that didn't happen.

Minnie, we are pretty close to each other time wise so understand how you are feeling.

Me & hubby took my son & his friedn out for the day yesterday an dhad the bay with us. I couldn't even let hubby push the pram as i felt so concious about my belly jiggling around.

I'm going to try to sort out something I can wear that means i don;t have to worry about it to try to de stress about it!
  • Hi Jubilee and other ladies
    I was shocked as well at the recovery being slow after my section and how difficult just standing up and showering was, never mind the whole problem of breastfeeding! It wasn't an em CS as such, but had no warning went in to be induced and they discovered she was breech so it was 'oh right up to theatre with you'. They put 'elective CS' on all my forms and I kept saying 'but it wasn't elective I didn't want a section'LOL hormones were going crazy!!
    Anyway, like the others have said just take it as easy as possible and accept all offers of help image I know it feels like it's taking forever just now but things will get better and you will regain your confidence. (Ifelt massivaly proud and happy with my big bump too image

best of luck and congrats on your new arrival!
    Aileen xx
  • Hi ladies,
    Haven't posted on here for a while. I had an EMCS, I wasn't myself for the first 6 weeks, the wound got infected at 3 weeks along. I really properly became myself at about 10 weeks. It was a shock for me i had gone through a home birth plan at 34 weeks that's what i always wanted, then on the 36 week check got sent to hospital and a few days later got diagnosed with pre-eclampsia and polyhydramnios or how ever its spelt (severe swelling to everyone else). Now 7 months down the line, still numb round the scar area, still feeling like rubbish but only for the 2 weeks before and after the CS. I would say talk about the whole experience to someone or many people or get a counsellor whatever makes you feel better. I dont have a flabby prego tummy any more but did up until about 4-5months. If my son kicks me normally through excitement, like during a nappy change on the scar area it hurts, sometimes quite a lot. Don't expect to much of yourself, if you do damage now it will probably turn into a long term problem. If you feeling conscious of your body image, well i'd say when you get to 6 weeks take yourself off on a shopping trip, or send you OH out now to get you one or two things. I found wearing trousers above the belly button helped along with Sloggy basic knickers, i know they look like granny pants but they are comfy.
  • Hi Aileen & Pel thanks for the advice. I think I'll look for those sloggy pants and get some high waisted trousers and skirts to give me more confidence.

I think I am expecting a bit much of myself but i guess I ams till a bit stunned. I am feeling a bit happier and that is in part to teh support here.

I had done a hypnobirthing course and spent months practising with hubby and we were so ready for a hypnobirth in a birthing pool so the EMCS was a complet and utter shock.

I am talking about it more so am feeling happier.

My little Ruby~Rae is perfect though and I am just happy she is healthy x
  • Hi,
    I had a complicated emcs last year and remember feeling exactly the same as you. I was completely shell shocked and my body didn't feel right. I actually broke down one night saying that I felt broken and didn't feel like my body was ever going to feel the same.
    Anyway, all I can say is that phase passed quickly. Me saying it won't make you feel like it'll pass ( I remember thinking I wish people would stop telling me it'll pass, I just feel broken!) BUT it did pass and I felt fine very quickly.
    Also, the talking about it is a fab idea, going through an encs is a trauma and the only way you can process it is by talking it through and trying rationalise it.
    Rest up, relax and take it easy on yourself! Good luck, I hope you're feeling better soon x
  • Hi hun,
    I had an EMCS 8 weeks ago as my little boy was getting distressed and I wasn't progressing past 6cms.
    I totally wasn't expecting to have a C section, so I wasn't prepared physically or mentally for the recovery afterwards. I felt like rubbish, and hated the fact I couldn't even pick my baby boy up during the first night to feed him and had to get the nurses/midwives to help me.
    I broke down on the second night in hospital as I was so tired, emotional and couldn't cope with not being able to help my baby when he was crying.

I was sent home 2 days later, and was taken back into hospital 6 days after my c section as I had developed an infection of my womb lining, which knocked me back even more.

I'm now 8 weeks on, and I'm feeling more normal now, but my doctor has told me it will take longer for me to be 100%. My tummy is still numb, especially around my scar, and my tummy is now covered in stretch marks, and is flabby with excess skin.
    Things will get better for you though hun.

I have requested my maternity notes from the hospital, so that I can read exactly what happened in my labour, as I was that drugged up, I can hardly remember. I feel this will help me to have some closure to what happened. It might help you too, so see if you can access your notes?

The most important thing is to take things easy image
    xx
  • I can totally relate to all of this, like one of the girls abovei I went in to be induced having been told I was ripe for induction (which was absolute tosh and will be the subject of a complaint eventually) and ended up with a C section when four days of trying to induce me in a room with no windows when I couldn't move cos of SPD, failed! My wee girl was fine, but I felt so physically and emotionally all over the place for the first few weeks that I panicked and went to GP ended up on antidepressants, like you the physical bit the big huge fluid filled belly etc bothered me a lot more then I thought it would, like a physical reminder of my traumatic pregnancy and the birth. I drove after 2 weeks my insurance company said it was up to me, and that helped a bit, but it's really only now 8 weeks later that I am starting to feel like me at all again, not anaemic anymore (I also lost too much blood) and also had a uterine infection a few weeks later as well. It does help to talk about it, as when you write it all down you realise how traumatic it all actually is, and how normal it is to feel pants afterwards. We will all get there xxx
  • I think it's great that we have all been able to see that we are normal to feel like absolute crap!

I wa sbale to get my notes becasue I photographed all the pages of my ntes and baby notes before i left the hospital so i can see what happend etc which does make things a bit easier to accept.

I am lucky that i am happy with my care and how i was handled in general but still just so unprepared for eveyrthing.

I am starting to feel a bit happier and that is a lot to do with talking on here and knowing I am not laone.

I really thank you guys for sharing and hope that some of you are feeling a bit better by talking together x
  • glad you are starting to feel better x
  • Hey Jubilee
    glad you're starting to feel a bit better, are you managing to get out and about yet? am guessing your LO is about a month now?
    smart thinking photocopying your notes before leaving the hospital!!
    take care
    Aileen xx
  • she is 7 weeks now and she is lovely & doign really well. I am getting out about and really enjoying walks and stuff and just can;t wait till i get a bit more strength in my tum xxx