Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Need some reasurance - Please

Hi Ladies

I've seen my consultant this afternoon and have been told that it is almost certain that I will have to have a c-section at 38 weeks due to my raised BMI and Gestational Diabetes.

Just feeling a bit lost and confused at the moment as this is a long way from the waterbirth I would have liked.

The prospect of not having baby with me after the birth as she may need to be in special care due to her sugar levels has really upset me.

Guess I'm just looking for some reassurance from those that have already been through it, hope you don't mind!

I have no idea how long a stay in hospital this will involve or likely recvery times afterwards and what I will won't be able to do when I get back home.

Cxx

http://lbdf.lilypie.com/wUJu.png

Replies

• Hi,

I am told too that I have to have a c-section at 38 weeks due to having a large cyst on my ovary. Ive been told that I will need to stay in hospital for atleast 5 days. Make a list of questions, and take them to your consultant on your next visit. They will be able to help you. Thats what I done x
  • I had a c-section 13 weeks ago and it was far from the water birth that I had envisaged the previous 6 months! When I knew it had to be a cs, I was gutted, it was not the way I had it planned out in my head but knew it was the best thing for both the baby and me. At the end of the day, that's all that matters.

I have to say that birth wise, it was the best experience ever. Far, far better than I ever thought a c-section would be. I was in hospital 4 days. I had a catheter fitted for 16 hours and was totally bed-bound this time. It was painful but they give wonderful drugs, so it's a case of more uncomfortable than actual pain. I was up on my feet after the catheter was removed and showered 18 hours after birth. I was walking gingerly for a few days but nowhere near as bad as I thought I would be.

I would definitely have a c-section again without hesitation, my experience was so positive. However I do feel that I missed out somewhat on labour and not being able to look after the baby myself that first day.

Sorry I've rambled but hope that helps x
  • Thanks for the replies Ladies.

Obviously I will do whatever is best to ensure that lo arrives with us safely, am just very nervous about an op!

Can anyone tell me if there c-section was as a result of gestational diabetes and if an how long thre little ones were in SCBU? I think this is my over riding fear about not being able to have my baby with me or cuddle and feed her after the delivery as she will need to have her sugar levels monitored.

Think the thing that brought this home to me yesterday was the Consultant saying that they would need to get me expressing milk asap for baby - I thought I would be able to feed her myself!

xx
  • I didn't want to r&r - I can't help with the diabetes or scbu, but I've had 3 c-sections so can help you with quick recovery etc.. On my last she was born at 12.30pm and I was home 36 hours later. Go for a spinal if they will give it to you. Take arnica tablets a couple of days before and as soon as you can after the op. This will help your scar and bruising. You can buy c-section belts which come with hot and cold pads that will help your healing.
    You probably wouldn't be able to go to scbu if you are in bed - so it's even more important that you have as quick recovery as you can. Make sure you keep your pain relief topped up - rather than waiting for it to wear off.
    Relax and remember that it is more important that your baby comes out safely, is it a definite that your baby will be in scbu? xx
  • Sorry can't help with the GD/SCBU but I would encourage you to get all the information beforehand and make sure you are alright with what they plan to do. I still feel sad that I missed out on caring for my baby in those first hours and yet he was with me the whole time.

Again I don't understand the reasons for saying you would need to express but try not to worry, the colostrum will be there and the MW's will help you express. My LO was lazy so we had to express the first few feeds. However there is no reason why your baby won't latch on and BF, unless of course they need bubs to be in an incubator or similar.

Do try to get your head around it all and make sure you get all the answers to the questions you have, take care x
  • OK -hmmm where to start?

a few q's first.

1. Is your GD diet controled or are you insulin controled?
    2. have you managed to keep your sugar levels stable?
    3. Do you have any other probs like high blood pressure etc?

I had GD, luckily mine was diet controled and very mild. I was able to keep my sugar levels stable (even though i was naughty and didnt change my diet). I wasnt even told that I would not be allowed to go over my due date until week 39. Even then it was not the GD that forced me into hospital. At my 39 week apointment my blood pressure was 'sky high' (slightly higher than usual for me) and i was booked in for induction, not a section. To cut a long story short the induction failed - 3 days of pesseries followed by waters being broke and hormone drip. Hell on earth for me as i was so bored until my waters were broken, then you are permanently on the monitor from then on. didnt work and only got to 3cm, I asked for a section at that point and got it. Section went really well, but i was still recovering from the induction so my OH gave LO his first feed.

After birth LO will have his blood sugar levels checked 3 times (i think)during the first couple of days. If LO's levels are OK he will be kept with you. My Lo never left my side.

You are asked to continue checking your sugar levels as usual up until the birth. In most cases if you are insulin dependant you will be asked to take your own insulin to hospital with you, and use as usual. My sugar levels wernt even checked until 3 days after birth. You will be called back to the maternity unit for a repeat GTT after the birth (cant remember how long now tho). You will also be advised on exercise and diet before leaving hospital. You are also advised to have your blood levels checked via a blood test every 12 months. As you have a higher chance of developing 'normal' diabetes after having GD.

I have had friends who had insulin dependant GD, had natural births, their LO was by their side all along. Oh and she ended up being in hospital for just over a month due to damage from her birth. Lo was fine even though she never did control her sugar levels.

Just because you have GD doesnt mean your LO will hace issues with their blood sugar as well. Stay positive.

PS I was only given a GTT because of that silly BMI thing (I rate as being morbidly obese).

Good luck for whatever type of birth you have and try not to worry (sections are not the worst thing ever and Special baby units are difficult but very supportive).

Sorry for the essay.

Beckie n Zacky (who is now 21 months)
  • just an add on from last post.

Section you are able to see your LO as soon as she is born if you request (but usually they do the usual checks and tidy them up first) Your birthing partner can if they wish go with baby when they are checked over. Lo will be given to you to hold (if possible) when you are sewed up and settled in recovery. As said my OH gave Zacky his first bottle as I refused to breast feed. But if you are breast feeding LO wil be given to you ASAP.

Hospital stays after section are usually 3 days if no complications. You and LO will be taken to ward together as far as possible. You will be encouraged to get back on your feet ASAP (when the spinal or epidural have worn off). Initially you will be supported to sit in a chair for a short period. Catheter will be removed after 24 hrs (sometimes less). While you have the catheter in you get your meals in your room, I had bottles bought to the room and missed out on the really yucky first nappies as the nurses changed them. Day 2 and 3 you will be encouraged to fend for yourselves. Day 2 you will probably be encouraged to fend for yourselves. Dont be afraid to ask for help though. And always ask for pain relief when you need it, dont let them fob you off. SOme midwifes like to stick to medication schedules. I needed meds early once but ended up falling asleep before they came. They bought them at 2am LOL. I knew when i needed pain relief as i felt like i was walking like a duck LOL.

At first lifting LO was difficult, as was getting out of bed (think it was more that i was scared of popping stitches though), you do feel some slight pulling when you move but you get used to how fast you can move and bend and twist etc. I had probs with stairs more than anything else though (i crawled up them for a few days as was more comfortable) . Really big soft pants are a must as well, but I only work underwear when absolutely necessary for first couple of weeks.

Gonna stop now, promise.

Beckie
  • Hi Beckie

Thanks for your reply, in answer to your questions:

1. Is your GD diet controled or are you insulin controled?

I was put on insulin at about 29 weeks, but at present only have to take it for certain meals - eg bread based ones. Rice, pasta and potato based meals I am still able to control without. Also I am oat present only on a maximum of 8 units per meal.

2. have you managed to keep your sugar levels stable?

I still have the odd high reading but these are generally below 10. But have been far better since starting the insulin. Problem is what I have one day and am fine with can put my sugar up on another!!!!

3. Do you have any other probs like high blood pressure etc?

Blood pressure is fine, but do have a very high BMI (also classed as morbidly obese, but that said I have dropped 2 BMI point ince becoming pregnant. I am actually 23 pounds light at 31 weeks pregnant than I was when I first found out! image

Cxx
  • hi hun, I had a high bmi and Gestational Diabetes, I was given the chance between c section and being induced, I chose c section but they have no right to force this on you want x x