Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

vbac appointment :(

well, after my much awaited vbac appointment to discuss options and possibly set a plan of acion should i opt for vbac i'm still no closer to a decision. feeling slightly let down, perhaps i'm expecting too much from these appointments? i had thought she'd give me all the pro's of vbac and sort of boost me up for it, and help me devise a plan that i'm happy with to go for a vbac, but all she did was tell me how bad an elective c section would be, not how good a vbac is, jsut all the negatives of a c sec, ie, no lifting for 6 weeks etc, which i know already, had one c section already, hence the vbac appointment...she also proceeded to tell me how this was my 'last chance to do it properly', apparantly if i have a c section this time, i'm most likely going to have to have a c section next time and any further briths would be c scetion too, so its vaginal birth now or never, no pressure then eh? not even sure why i'm writing this, jsut need to vent a little bit i guess, i just feel more deflated than ever really, i don't want to choose an elective c section because then i would feel like i hadn't even tried and want to ebable to care for ds still (who will be 20months so still need x amount of lifting etc), but then i would prefer an elective to another emergency (physically and mentally), and when i explained to her about having an elective c sec would mean i could prepare myself mentally/emotionally for it she said, 'well u can do that for em c sec too as just tell urself baby can only come out two ways, c sec or vaginally, so then it doesn't matter elective or emergency'...she just didn't get it, i had ptsd after ds was born which is why i don't want to go through a 'traumtaic' labour and then emergency c sec again as i don't want history to repeat itself in that way, and if i gear myself up fopr vbac i know i'll be utterly dissappointed if i don't 'succeed'...less than 13weeks to make a decision now, just feel liek i'm getting no closer to making my mind up, argh!

sorry for the ramble
xx 26+6

Replies

• oh sorry to hear you didn't have a very satisfactory appointment, sounds like she could have been more encouraging rather than just seeming to try and make you feel bad :evil:
    totally understand about wanting to be prepared for what's going to happen, a last minute c-section does knock the wind out of you a bit even though we all know 'the baby can only come out 2 ways', grr, i'm raging for you!!! what a rubbish consultant.

good luck in making your mind up about what to do. I also think it's not necessarily now or never, as have heard of people having VBA2C.....

aileen xx
  • hey chick i didn't have to make a decision until i had my app at 34 weeks (for most people this is 36 weeks, but i had a premi the time before), although i did actually book in for a section for a week before my due date, i always hope i would go into labour first, which i did, the day after i booked my c-section lol, i had no trouble and no problems, baby came quickly and safely, and i am so proud i managed to go through with the vbac. but since your obs didn't tell you much about vbac,s i will give you the risks now.

in most cases a VBAC is a safer option to elective c-section, but as with every birth, there is always a risk.

there is a 0.5% chance of uterine rupture (scar splitting open during labour), i was petrified about the thought of this but once in labour it didn't even cross my mind.

they will only offer a sweep as an induction method, so if you haven't gone into labour yourself they will try a sweep first, then its straight to c-section.

people who have had an emcs, and then go on to have a relatively straight forward pregnancy will have a 70% chance of having a vbac.

i think thats it, my obs just made sure i had a clear understanding of the uterine rupture. but to be truthful mine was realtively straight forward as i had had 2 vaginal births before my emcs xxx
  • Sorry to hear she wasnt very helpful. My consultant didnt really go through much with me, just do you want a vbac or not!!

But i went to a VBAC class, not sure if they offer them in your area, but i would def recommend it. I found it really useful and came out sure I wanted to try for a VBAC. xx