Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Looking for info/answers please

Hi girls- I posted the following on Due in Aug this morning after my 38 week MW appointment:

After weeks of being told that my baby is presenting head down, my MW now says she isn't convinced now that that is the case, and I need to go for a scan on Monday morning, even thought that could be too late. She said she hopes she is wrong and that she can't feel the head because it is so low down now, but now I just don't know what is going on or what will happen

I am devastated.I desperately don't want a c section- I want to pick my baby up, and drive her around and push her in her pram. My H2B can't take weeks off work to do everything for us. I don't know what to do

I had an operation last September when I had my ectopic, and I can't face that again. I don't want another baby to be cut out of me

On top of that c sections leave scar tissue, meaning that on top of already having an increased risk of another ectopic, this would increase it even more

38+1 x

So can you tell me, if the worst comes to the worst, what will I be able to do? What about when H2B goes back to work after a week? How long will we be in the hospital for? And what if I go into labour this weekend before we get the scan? What about next time- will I always need a c section?

I have so many questions- I'm sorry, but I haven't looked into it as I didn't think I needed to. This is just typical of the luck H2B and I always have- should have known it was going a little too well!

Thanks in advance x

Replies

• Options
    Oh I'm sorry you feel like this. i hope your baby is behaving and facing the right way. To be honest a section isn't as bad as it sounds, especially as yours will be planned. A lot of car insurance companies say you can drive after 2 weeks and really, you probably arent going to go far in the first two weeks. I was out of hospital day 4 because of my babies weight loss, would have been day 3 if it hadn't been for that. The first week is the hardest but after that it's fine! I was pushing the pram and going to the shops within a week or so!!!

As for always needing a section, you are always encouraged to go for a vbac, especially because you were breech. The only thing they don't like to do is induce you after a section so if you are late second time you might need a section again.

Let us know how you get on!
  • Options
    Hi,

It's awful being so near and being told this, you have a vision of how you think your birth will be an it all changes. My 1st was a c-sect as she was breech, I knew this from about 34 weeks and it was confirmed with a scan with the consultant who booked me in for a c-sect after a chat about my options - we felt it was the safest option given her position. I was booked in for 39 weeks but my waters broke early. I went in and was scanned again to check position then went down to theatre. It was a positive experience with my husband by my side. I had her at quarter to midnight on the Saturday and was home by the Tuesday morning. I won't lie and say it didn't hurt afterwards, I was uncomfortable for the first few days but it does get easier. When I got home I was able to cuddle her, bath her etc and after a week we were out taking gentle walks. With so many visitors etc I don't think we would have got out earlier than this anyway. After 2 weeks I felt almost 'normal' again. You do have to take it easy for a few weeks but you will still be able to care for your lo just fine.
    I had my 2nd lo 8 months ago and had a Vbac, again I had a good experience. I just had to be monitored more regularly as they had to watch my previous scar incase of the extremely small chance of rupture. I don't think I bonded with either babies differently because of how I gave birth to them. I just concentrated on the fact that i had healthy babies who were brought into the world in the safest way they could.

If you do go into labour before your scan then phone the ward straight away and tell them the situation, they'll probably ask you to come in and scan you straight away. As for subsequent pregnancies, consultants prefer women to try for a vbac unless previous medical conditions mean that the woman can't. As mine was due to position of the baby my consultant wanted me to try for a vbac.

You might find that you get your scan and your lo will be head down and all will be fine, you never know, so although it's hard try not to worry. Even if you do need a c-sect they're really not that bad, as long as you and your lo are ok that's all that matters. At least you will know and can start to get your head around it. Best of luck and let us know what happens. xx
  • Options
    Thanks girls, that is really helpful. I was wondering about vaginal breech- I desperately don't want an epidural but I guess you would need one? x
  • Options
    They will advise you on the position of the breech and what the chances are of you being able to have a vaginal birth. With my breech the chances were very low and I could have laboured for hours and ended up having a c-sect anyway. I'm glad I chose the section as the midwife told me afterwards that there was no way I could have had my baby vaginally due to the position she was in, they had a battle getting her out in theatre because she was in such an awkward position.

After your scan if your baby is breech just write down all your questions and concerns and the consultant will bear these in mind when talking through your options. Best of luck! xx
  • Options
    Just to let you know ladies, the scan went well and she is head down, so at the moment there is no need for the dreaded c section!

Thank you so much for your messages!

38+4 x
  • Options
    I'm so pleased for you.. as my nan would of said the midwives don't know their arse from their elbow! :lol: At least you were scanned and can be sure now. xx