Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

pain after section

I had an em-csec last week due to a failed induction and am home recovering well apart from bad back ache and pains in my right side of my wound it feels a bit like a burning sensation and slighty pulling. It feels more of an inside pain than the stiches causing bother, my wound looks clean and m/w is happy its healing well. Has anybody else had pains like this, is it normal with recovery from the op or should i mention the pains to m/w or gp just to get checked over?

Thanks if anyone can help, its getting me down as when i try to stand up or sit down, or even just move when im already lying or sitting down i hurt and I hate it esp when im holding my LO.

Lea &Theo
x
8 days old :\)

Replies

• Hi

congrats on your little one.

Usually the scar hurts more to one side, and the side that hurts most is usually then end where the stiches are tied off. I would mention it to the m/w but it does sound normal. The back ache is from the epidural or spinal and i found 2nd time round it was sore for about a month but then i was butchered lol.

Are you still on decent painkillers? some ppl are fine after a few days but i carried on with voltarol (diclofenac (sp) ) as the last thing you want to be in with a newborn is pain.

Also it can feel more sore if you become constipated so if your having any problems speak to doc or m/w about lactulose

take care

xxDBxx
  • hey, i called my little baby theo too! i haven't met another theo yet. i had an emergency section too and had those pains you talk about for quite a few weeks after, but not the back ache (probably because i had a general not a spinal), but do definitely keep on top of your pain killers because i made that mistake and paid for it - i thought the pain was bearable and didn't want to take too much as i was breast feeding so thought i'd be ok without taking them and went shopping for a pram as well and that night i was doubled over in agony, it was awful, and of course by then taking the painkillers didn't work straight away and i was in so much pain i was awake all night. i have learnt that lesson for next time so please don't make the same mistake as me as it is totally stupid!

take care, i hope you have a speedy recovery xxx
  • i had section 4 weeks ago.. it was my 2nd.. i have also hd a lot of bk pain..and pain lk u describe on ur right side-inside by scar...cant explain it..bt mentioned it 2 midwife n health v n thy dont seem concerned... the back pain is worse. mayb from the spinal injection?? il have my 6 week check soon
  • i think everyone is different, i suffered from a lot of pain immediately after (due to being given incorrect painkillers), but it eased off after i was given the naproxen, but i did have to keep this up for 11 weeks (tried coming off them at 6 and 9 weeks but was still in quite a bit of pain, and since i have 3 kids, i couldn;t deal with pain too)

as for the pulling and pain on one side i suffered with that, mine was the right side but i had dissolvable stitches and not the ball ones, but i still suffer with the same pain now when its my time of the month, as for the backache its definately the epidural, i've had 2 (one with a natural birth and one with section). hope this helps
  • Hiya

I had these pains too and thought there was something wrong but spoke to m/w.

She said that at one end or the other of your section scar is what they call 'the anchor'.

Its where each layer of tissue/muscle is secured to the one underneath until they reach undisturbed material. This is to help hold everything in place.

They are dissolvable and mine do not hurt now - on day 13 post section.