Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

38 or 39 weeks?

if ur having elective, which week are u booked for?.
im being told 38 by 1 consultant, and 39 by another...
also wen wr u given date? im nearly 34 weeks now.... really need date to sort out child care, and so on,

Replies

• hi hon!!

it is usually done as close to 39 as poss - but this depends on when you would be 39 (ie if it is a Saturday, they could do it at 38+6, or Monday 39+2). it also depends on how many others are booked around your time.

as for your date, i would expect you'll get that at your next visit!!

xxxxxxx
  • I had mine at 38+5 due date 15 march 09 which was a sunday,,,, and i got my date at my 36wk check up with consultant. We were very lucky were 1st down to theatre so had my daughter at 9.53am which meant that i was up and making my way to the loo by 3pm and was only in 2 days so home by sunday lunchtime!

Good luck xxx
  • hi ive been told that it will be 39+ as better for baby xxDBxx
  • The leaflet I had said they prefered to do any elective c sect after 39 weeks, unless there is a medical reason why they should do it earlier. They like to do it after 39 wks as there is less chance of you or baby having problems.

Rach
  • The leaflet I had said they prefered to do any elective c sect after 39 weeks, unless there is a medical reason why they should do it earlier. They like to do it after 39 wks as there is less chance of you or baby having problems.

Rach
  • Im just gatecrashing from due in july forum sorry! Im having an elective section at 38 weeks and 5 days (on my mums birthday) and am counting the weeks!! I had an emergency cesearean with my son 3 years ago and have decided to have a cesearean with my daughter this time xx
  • I had mine at 38 weeks 6 days this was a thursday, was out on the Saturday lunch time. Baby was 7lb 3oz and 8 days early from EDD so a pretty good size. i thnk it all depends on the hospital and circumstances