Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Q about c-sec and trying for a 2nd baby

Hi all

I'm 28+4 and today found out baby is breech! I know that he / she has TONNES of time to turn and change position but the consultant did warn me if they don't, I might need a c-section...

Anyway, this has got hubby a bit distressed as he read that after a c-section we have to wait 2yrs before trying for another baby!!! I know its only something he read in a book, but does anyone know if this is really the case?

Its funny that we've not got the first one out yet but we want our kids to be close in age!

He is worrying!

Joo xxx

Replies

• Hi Joo, congrats on your pregnancy! Fingers crossed for you that your little bean turns for you. I was told to wait 6 months- a year. If before a year I was told I would need a repeat section. We also want a close age gap, so will be ttc once I finish bfing. It would take a while for your body to be ready again after a vaginal birth anyway, so 6 months to a year doesnt sound too long for me. How close did you want the age gap between yours? xxx
  • Hi, congratulations on your pregnancy and fingers crossed that your lo turns. After having my son by emergency section (june 07) I was told that they normally recomend you wait between 6 - 12 months before trying for another. In the end I fell pregnant whilst on the pill when my son was 4 months old. After seeing my gp he said that they only say 6-12 months as you scar should be fully healed by then.
  • hiya. i had an emergancy section with my 1st dd, and we started trying for another sraight away! so 3 mnths later 1 was pg again. so i had my sections 1yr apart, youngest dd is now 5mnths and we are trying for our 3rd which will be another elective section for me.

so i really wouldnt worry, image you will be able to start tryin as soon as you want xxxx
  • we started ttc when Ollie was 4 months old after an emergency section.
    When I saw my consultant she asked if i would consider a vbac, as she really thought i should give it a go, but I told her it was going to be an elective c sec or not at all.....

they 'recommend' that you wait a while for the scar to heal but if you get pregnant again quickly it'll prob mean nothing more than them keeping an eye on your scar.

they were fretting about my scar at first, now they're not worried at all as it appears to be the only part of me sticking together! :lol:

xxx
  • the general consencus with drs is that you should wait a year before getting pg again.

this is to enable the scar on your uterus to heal as strong as possible before you get preg again. if you get preg again quickly, you do run the risk of putting it under strain more so than by waiting that bit longer.

there are problems associated with previous c/s anyway -higher risk of placenta praevia, and scar rupture to name but a few, so it really is worth waiting that bit longer.

as for being breech at 27 weeks - a lot of babies are at this point, but most of them do turn to head first!
  • I was told to wait at least a year before getting prg again
  • I was told to wait for 18 months before TTC again to allow the scar to heal properly. My DS is now 17 months and i'm 7 weeks PG again now so nearly made it! We did start trying when he was 11 months though and it took us 6 months. At the end of the day it is just a recommendation and you can see it has worked out ok for several ladies on here so i wouldn't worry too much. Good luck and hope bean turns soon!

Amy. x
  • Hi Joo, just wanted to say that I was in the same position as you, as in we knew Charlie was breech really early on and he was a big baby even then and I'm only little. Midwife told me he would probably turn on his own but he didnt and I didnt find out til about 36weeks that there was plenty of stuff I could do to try and turn him but by then he was so big it was too late! And I ended up having a c section. Dont get me wrong, it was really fine but would've liked to have avoided it if poss.

Search on the internet for tips on turning a breech baby if you havent already! I'd post some sites for you but its lunchtime for Charlie now so gotta go...

Good luck and hope he / she turns for you!! Let me know if you need any info and I'll dig out some of the stuff I used - even though it didnt work!! ;o)) xxx