Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Trying for VBAC - induction??

Hi,
I had a c-sect 2 years ago with my daughter as she was breech. This time around I have had regular scans with the consultant as I would like a VBAC due to the recovery time and having a toddler to look after as well this time. I am 36 weeks today and saw the consultant this afternoon. He confirmed that the head is down and baby is of average size and he's perfectly happy for me to try for a VBAC.

However...he is not easy to talk to and was quite condescending when I was asking him questions. I asked what would happen if I went overdue, we talked about the use of a pessary induction. The next thing I knew he was on the phone booking me in for an induction on my due date! He said i will be allowed 2 attempts at this and if they fail i will have a section again. Is this normal procedure as he hadn't mentioned this before. I am now hoping for nature to take it's course over the next 4 weeks as I had heard that inductions were dangerous for women who had previously had a section, he said that this method is safe though as it is controllable unlike the other mehods. I am seeing my mw weekly now so will ask her as she is much more approachable than my consultant.

Any advice or experience on this would be welcomed.

Replies

• hi donk

welcome to BE!

the subject of induction with a previous c/s has been discussed a lot on here - i dont know if you have had time to read any of the other posts.

many Dr's will jo longer use Prostin (either gel or pessaries) due to the way in which they work - for eg, when you go into labour yourself, your body (as a general rule) builds up contractions slowly -ie every 30 mins, then 15, then 10 etc. when you have prostin, you can literally be doing nothing one minute, then have them every 3 minutes, then 2 mins etc. it is known that this way that it puts extra stress on the scar too quickly, and the scar can not always cope. if it cant cope, there is the risk that it will rupture, and can potentially put you and your baby at risk.

what he may have meant is that it is "controllable" is that if you do start to contract very quickly, a)they may try and take the pessary out b) use your hospital's policy of whatever they use to slow them down. some units use a blue ventolin inhaler (honestly), ours uses a small under the skin injection.

if units do induce after c/s, many will stop at 1 prostin anyway, bt this usually is Consultant decision with each individual patient.

what he would have also probably meant by saying it was safer, is that a vaginal delivery IS safer than a C/S, but i would argue that you are no longer a normal labourer - you've had a c/s!

you should be closely monitored (there is a post further down about monitoring that may be helpful), and should it be that you need the drip to help with contractions, then it should be used very cautiously.

on the other hand, try not to worry too much about caring for your toddler with the new baby if you do end up with a c/s - if you let them know that they will be helping etc, they are usually very adaptable to them. if you also show them your dressing / wound, then they can get quite into it, and know to mind mummy's tummy.

i knew i would have to have c/s, so prepped my toddler each time!

in the mean time to get the baby moving on it's own - a good bit of "you know what!!" (make sure you have abath before you go in tho'!!)

good luck, and we'll see you in a few weeks with your lo!!
  • Thanks very much for your reply. You gave me much more detail than my consultant did and have answered a lot of my questions. I'll scan through some of the old posts now I've got a minute.

Thanks again for your help!!