Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

WHAT KEEPS LABOUR GOING??

Not sure if I should have posted this in labour and birth forum, but put it here anyway.

I know the experts say that labour is triggered by hormonal changes, but it has been mentioned that the pressure from babies head on the cervix is what helps it to dilate.

Is this true.??

I had my son by emergency c-sec as after being fully dilated for over 4 hours his head was still far too high and was not descending. They couldn't do instrumental delivery for this reason, so c-section it was. At no point was baby distressed.

Anyway it turned into a bit of a trauma for both of us as his head was stuck in my pelvis and the doctor could not get her hands round his head to deliver him. She did get him out bum first, but caused lots of briusing (to baby) and tearing of me.

Anyway, I was told afterwards by various MWs, the doctor that delivered my son, and the consultant at my post birth check up that a elective C Sec next time would be the best option in their opinion as my pelvis is misshapen and unusually small( doc examined it in theatre apparently). Im 5ft 3in and my son was 9lb 1oz (although he was long rather than big)

I really hope I can have a successful VBAC (or at least try), but nobody seems optimistic about it.

I was induced and laboured relatively quickly. I had 2 lots of gel, but I never felt a thing until about 9pm in the evening, and by 2am I was fully dilated. I had no drip or anything.

I have done lots of reading although Im aware not everything maybe helpful info. But the general concensus seems to be that the babies head needs to be pressing on the cervix to dilate it. I fully dilated which to me would suggest that my pelvis wasn't so small as my sons head must have been pressing on the cervix for me to fully dilate....therefore his head must have engaged and started to descend??

Can being induced be the reason why I would fully dilate without any pressure from babies head?? If it is the babies head, then is this a good sign that my pelvis is actually ok?? I know my son was back to back so could this be what caused him to get stuck as he entered my pelvis at a funny angle.

Any opinions / views (professional or not) are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Replies

• hi honey!!

there all all sorts of things that cause labour to continue- one is the hormonal effect as you have said, and the other is that the head pushing onto the cervix with contractions helps!

it is known that mal positioned heads can slow labour down - for example, babies should come with the back of their head pushing onto the cervix (the bit where you would wear a high ponytail). some babies come with the top of the head first - this doesnt fit as snug to the cervix, so doesnt put pressure on it the same.

however, a cervix can still dilate without anything pushing at all- it has been known for ladies to go into labour and their baby be lying across their tummy - nothing near the pelvis!!!!

if you really want to try for a VBAC, then speak with your dr's around the time your lo is due - if you are having another big baby, which is lying back-to-back, there is a good chance you'll have another emergency c/s, but if the baby is smaller, round to face the front, then you could be ok!

• Hi, sorry have no medical knowledge but i thought i had an incompentent cervix which means that i dont dilate, my consultant wanted me to have a planned c section but i felt that different baby different birth so tried for a vbac. as it was i do have an incompentant cervix didnt dilate and had an em section but plsed i tried and the consultant was happy to support my decision, if he hadnt then i wld have had an elective.

def talk to m/w and consultant, i have to have an elective if i fall again so v pls i gave a vbac a go

xxDBxx