Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

What Should I Do?

Hi Girls,
As u prob already know in my last pregnancy i had an emergency section after been induced, going through 12hrs of labour and getting to 10cm. So obviously this time round they are been more cautious and i have to go and see consultant at 36wks to discuss baby how is doing and whether or not i will be having a section or going for VBAC. The thing is i really dnt know what i want (i want both, ha ha ha). Spoke to mw today who said if i went into labour naturally this time then there is no reason i shudnt have a completely normal birth. However she did say that they will not induce me this time so i cud get to 42wks and still end up having a section. Is anyone else in this predicament, what wud u do? I want to have a baby naturally but i wud also prefer an elective section over another possible emergency one, help! Kerry xxx
http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev183pf___.png

Replies

• Options
    Hi Kerry,

I had my 20 week scan today and I have the same dilemma. I didn't have the 12 hours of labour or get the chance to get further than 1 cm dilated since my lo's heart almost stopped at my first contraction after being induced at 41+6 - so that means I'm less likely to rupture. It is only 7 months since my section though. I think I'm just going to see how I feel in 16 weeks time Let me know how you get on.

Denise xxx
  • Options
    hi kerry i wasin the exact same position about 7 months ago they offered an elective cos i had a section after a failed induction with my son and this baby was bigger then when i saw the consultant at 38 wks he said no we will see how you go i was upset cos i had really bad pelvic pain so at 41 +4 wks i was admitted for an elective but Abby tried to make an appearance and i tried labouring again much easier this time the contractions were nothing like being induced but Abby decided she didn't want to come out that way as she became unengaged when i was 6 cm dilated so i was sectioned and it was a much nicer experience felt more in control see my birth story
    godluck babe what ever you decide
    fea x
  • Options
    Hi Kerry,

I had an emergency c sect under a g/a with my first daughter after labouring for 10 hours and fully dilating.

With my second pregnancy i debated over whether to try naturally like you but decided to opt for an elective c sect as i felt that although i had not pushed my first daughter into the world i certainly had experienced labour and i was terrified of ending up with another g/a if i tried again.

My elective c sect was an amazing experience and without a doubt was the right decision for me.

I still had skin to skin contact in recovery and they even let hubby cut the cord once the surgeon had cut her from me.

Wishing you a positive birth whatever route you decide to take.

Claire x

• Options
    Thanks Claire,
    I think if im truthful i would be happy with an elective section, its just that part of me feels like i will have had two children but not actually given birth (although like u said i didnt escape the actual labour). I keep changing my mind everyday sometimes im like "no lets go naturally" and then other days im saying to OH "i think we shud opt for an elective section". He is really getting sick of me changing my mind, lol. Thanks for all ur replies girls. Kerry xxx
    http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev183pf___.png

• Options
    I've got the same problem, had an emergency c-sect with first after 3 days of being induced and only getting to 2cm dilated. My other half wants me to have an elective as he's worried about things going wrong but Im just not sure of the best course. Keep us up to date with what you decide and what our midwife says. Either way, do what you feel is right.
  • Options
    Hi Kerry
    I completely understand what your going through as i had the same problem ! After an emergency section with the first i opted for an elective with the second which i think was right for me it was so much calmer and easier when it came to sorting out child care and things , now I'm on the 3rd pregnancy and I'm having another section after speaking to my consultant who was very good and understanding it was decided that was the best option mainly for safety reasons but it did get me thinking i sometimes wish i had tried for a vbac after the first because now I'm on the 3rd section that's it really, there is very little chance if i do have any more after this one that i would be able to have a vbac. Overall I'm happy with the choices i made and think it was right for me but its so hard to decided ! I hope you can understand all that ! Have a good think on it but I'm sure you know whats right for you and what ever you decide to do will be the right thing. Take care and let us know how you get on x
    EDD 4/July 30 weeks only ten to go !