Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

watching baby come out/cutting the cord

Hi, to anyone who hasnt heard my ramblings i have to have another section (have had 2 em secs 1 under GA one after 36 hours of not dilating) as ive accepted that with my medical history i cant give 'normal' birth another go despite me longing to experience it.

so this probably explains my obssesion with planning my elective, basically do you think it would be too gross to ask for them to drop the sheet so i cld see baby come out guk and all, its just ive had 3 kids and have never seen the umbilical cord or seen a babies first cry or covered in goo, and do you think i cld cut the cord?

any opinions greatly recieved even if only to tell me ive got a screw loose lol

xxDBxx

Replies

• for a minute there I thought you had had a section under gas and air!! baby brain at its best. I think you would have to ask the consultant/midwife but I reckon they would say probally say no, incase you fainted or something. I dont think they would let you watch any kind of op on yourself but I might be wrong. I had an emer section 1st time and having an elective on Tuesday. I have heard people say that when its a planned section they lift the baby right up so you can see it before they check it, which they dont do with an emergency section but I will be able to let you know next week! xx
  • hi
    i don't think you're daft for wanting to see it. i've had 1 em section and 1 planned. with my second i wanted to see everthing and they lifted baby up covered in goo fo me to see. and they showed me the cord and the placenta. i didn't have a sheet up through th op so i could see what they were doing well i could see them mooching about. my elective section was so different it was really calm and i wasn't off my head on gas and air and pethedine so i was aware of everthing that was going on and felt a lot more involved
    hope you get the birth you want
    milliepopxx
  • thanks for your replies joannemarie, i will look out for your birth story and wish you all the best. ps made me smile the gas and air idea, thought it was good stuff but not that great lol really it was me being a rubbish speller, hence GA lol

milliepop thats what i hope, I was so shattered and drugged up that although i was awake which was better than first section i wasnt really with it and felt awful.

I will ask consultant but wanted check i wasnt off my head first lol

xxDBxx
  • HI DB...i have read a story about a woman who lifted her baby out herself...with guidance...when they had finished cutting the surgeon guided her hand down so she could deliver her own baby! i would love to do that next time! I dont think your off your rocker at all...i want to be as involved in my birth next time as possible! xxx
  • mmmmm think thats a bit beyond me lol but good to know that ppl want to go further than me just didnt want the consultant to think i was completely of my rocker.

did you see the article about natural c-sections where they cut you open and then let your contractions force the baby up through the incision.

xxDBxx
  • eww no...but if its a planned c section surely you wouldnt be having contractions? and mine stopped when i was taken off the drip.x
  • Hi DB. If you find out whether its possible to have the sheet down will you let me know. MY cs with G was an emergency but I was awake for it. If I ever get pg I would love to feel more involved and see the baby coming out as I felt so detached with G as I couldn't touch her as was attached to all sorts of things and was shaking violently and then she went to SCBU.
    Ta, H.xxx
  • Sure, i imagine there is such a difference between an em and an el so as soon as i know i will let you know and then fill you in on the gory details when the time comes lol. how are you doing anyway??

mousenose, thats what i thought, tbh i cant remember if i was still having contractions i guess i must have been tho as my contractions were normal i just wasnt dialting

xxDBxx
  • Makes sense to want to see i guess if it's going to be elective, i think it's something that has to be discussed with the hospital (i assume)

Just so happens i've just bee watching this on you tube, so if they won't let you see maybe you get get other half to help out image

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjgxKcjni
  • I thought I might like to see next time but after watching some vids I've changed my mind!!! I don't think I could cope seeing the docs doing that to my belly!!!