Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

3rd section advice pls esp ollier2001

Hi

I've had 2 sections in the last two years, twins due to pre eclampsia feb 07 and failure to dilate in aug 08

We have been ttc no4 and do have time limit, basically if i havent fallen by nov 09 then that will be it (long story but only option.)

neway been googling and seems lots of negatives about having 3rd section and i wld really like some advice.

Ollier2001, i often read your posts (tho think this must be a bus mans holiday for you lol) and i like your honesty, so wld really appreciate your medical/personal opinion.

regards

xxDBxx

Replies

• hi honey!

first, hope you have good fun trying to catch with no 4!! :lol:

second - what is that you have read about problems with a 3rd c/s?

there is a higher risk of bleeding with a c/s than a normal delivery (as well as the associated probs of nicking your bladder / bowel etc), and the risk of this does tend to get greater the more c/s you have. but, as they would know how many c/s you have had, they would be prepared for this with any drugs that you may need to treat the bleeding.

another concern is that you may have adhesions - this is basically scar tissue that forms each time you are cut open and heal- the more you are cut, the more adhesions are given chance to form. but, tbh, these dont really cause to much of a problem- it takes the surgeon a little longer to get the baby out as they have to keep cutting these too, but it doesnt really make too much of a difference. not everyone has them anyway, regardless of how much surgery they have!!

the only other concern would be that you have already had the 2 c/s, so the point on your uterus is weaker again, but many women have absolutely no problems with this at all. if you were to labour then you could have massive problems, but nearly all dr's would do an emergency c/s if that happened anyway.

i have had 3 c/s, and didnt have any problems with scar tenderness etc etc, but i did bleed about 2 hrs after my last - i was given all appropriate stuff and it settled very quickly. after the delivery, again, i had no problems at all, and i was still up and about after my spinal wore off, caring for my lo myself. for me, the pregnancies, and recovery after all 3 babies was exactly the same.

let me know what the bad bits are that you have read, and i'll see if i can help anymore?!!

xxxxxxxxxx
  • see all words of wisdom u have done it again oller put me at rest please will u be my midwife pleasssssssssssssssseeeeeeeeee and be in theatre wiv me lol
  • Tinkerbell83, I agree I want Ollier2001 as well!

Thanks for your reply, tbh i think i have been looking for all the bad reports, i know it sounds melodramtic but im terrified of dying just because i wanted another baby and leaving my lo's. have read a few cases of the scar rupturing when woman is not even in labour, are these just scare stories?

I have really bad adhesions, when i had my em section in aug the registrar said she wasnt able to do my section as she had never seen such a bad case, they had to get the on call consultant to do it and they took 1hr 10 mins to get baby out (thankfully he wasnt in any distress).
    If he had of been in distress cld they have done it quicker? the consultant said he was v pleased with his handiwork but was surprised that i hadnt been in pain, is that normal?

Sorry for all these questions, I think BE should pay you.

xxDBxx

Ps its good to hear that you have had 3 sections and all has been well, people think im mad x
  • double bubble ive had 2 sections and am haveing another and am dreading it the same as u the nightnares i have had omg u dont wanna no im gonna be a total mess wen it comes to the day i have it i keep thinking im gonna die and whats my other 3 children going to do if anything happens to me it doesnt help with all the horror storys ive heard and red either i think we shud go and have it done together lol xx
  • Its horrible isnt it.

Are you booked in yet? Im not even pregnant yet so could just wuss out of it all together, but i cant explain how much i want another baby (I was thinking about getting sterilised at the same time as figure i def cldnt have any more)

The thought of leaving my other 3 without a mum is just horrendous I know it could happen anytime but its the fact that i am choosing to do this that makes it worse, does that make sense.

Good luck with it

xxDBxx
  • girls, thank you so much for asking me!! hahaha! you may just meet me depending on where you are!! (North West mum!!)

DB - if you do have a distressed baby then yes, they could get in a lot quicker,but of course the risks would be higher for you with potential damage to the bladder / bowel, as very often the adhesions stick to whatever they like- and a lot of the time it is those!!

i have seen op's for what is called "division of adhesions" where basically you have surgery to cut them, making pain stop, but of course it is a little chicken & egg scenario, as invariably, the pain will come back!!!!!

thankfully, you have not had pain which is good!

as for scar's rupturing not even in labour- i'm not going to say it hasnt happened, but i have never heard of it. there would usually be an indication - usually low down pain in the scar area - that should always be reviewed, but as i said, i'm not gonna say it has never happened, but it must be very rare. it is usually labour / induction etc that would cause it (hence why women are monitored constantly at this time)

in the UK at the moment, Dr's do recommend not having more than 3 c/s for the concerns of rupture, but maybe you could ask for an appointment with your dr in view of your adhesions.

Tinkerbell83 - i had no hesitation in having the 3 c/s - and if honest, i think worrying about not being there for your babies is just a bout the worst nightmare ever for a mum. but, i was also adamant that i wouldnt have another c/s, so i was sterilised at the last one. many people asked if she had been a boy (i already had 2 boys) would i have tried for number 4 to see if i could have a girl, but there was no way - i wouldnt have risked the 4th c/s. i felt that just for a girl it wasnt worth leaving my gorgeous boys behind - and there was no guarantee i'd have had a girl anyway! i know that i got the girl anyway, but i really am not just saying that.

i'm sure you will be both be fine!! (esp when you get there DB!!) image
  • yep double bubble im nearly 24 weeks gone and am haveing a girl so i cant woose out and im prob gona have baby at 30 weeks as ive got early onset preeclampsia which is no suprise as ive had hellp and eclampsia twice b4 and delivered at 30 weeks her growth is been afected shes only weeny they found out i had bilaterial notches at my 20 week scan which indecates preeclampsia and my bp has been up and down im on low dose asprin my fingers have blown rite up the last couple of days im haveing scans every 2 weeks and pet bloods done every 4 weeks to 2 weeks and seeing midwife every week so yes i am dreading it and there is nout i can do to get out of it omg that sounds real scarey im being sterilised wen i have this 1 as its my 4th buba 4 is enuff i cud only have 7 weeks left omg wow now i am scared i asked the doc if there was any chance of me getting to atleast 35 weeks but he just laughed at me which i thought was rather rude but there u go look at my history not gud xx