Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth

2 C-Sections and VBAC?

Hi Ladies,
Jus after a little advice. Iv had two children my son is 2 and after a long labour and getting all the way 2 10cm i had to have an emergency c-section coz he got stuck and was then in distress. I was convinced i wanted a natural birth after that coz i felt like id failed first time round, however with my second baby after been promised a sweep at 39wks and then been messed around by my hospital i decided i didnt trust going for a VBAC and at the very last min i opted for a planned section. At the time i was pleased i had dun because my daughter weighed a whooping 8lb 14oz, however now im kind of regretting having another section especially now me and OH have been talking about having another baby in a couple of years time. I dnt want to have another section i want to have at least had one of my children naturally coz i feel like iv missed out on the most natural thing in the world and i really want to experience child birth (i know that mite sound strange).

Any way my question to u ladies is, is it possible to have a natural birth after two previous sections and im a the only one who feels like abit of a failure having 2 children and not yet given birth naturally. Any advice and comments wud be greatly appreciated, thanks xxx

[Modified by: kerrymc on 27 March 2009 17:24:57 ]

Replies

• Hi

I know how you feel, i really wanted to experience a 'proper birth' and felt like a failure even tho i knew i was lucky to have my beautiful children.

I am ttc and have been told that they recommend a planned c section and i wldnt go against medical knowledge but thats just me. I have read accounts of ppl that have had VBA2C but most of them had had a sucessful v birth before the two sections. i have researched it a bit and there are some new postive research however i have other complications which rule it out.

look at http://www.vbac.co.uk/stories/story.php?s=zoe and
    http://www.caesarean.org.uk/ but there are loads of sites

good luck

xxDBxx
  • thank u hun. i know they wud prob advise another c-section, but i know my body cud do it if it was just given the chance, coz with my first id gon thru the whole labour got to 10cms and was pushing they were just eager to get baby out coz he was distressed. Thanks for those site tho, i will check them out xxxx
  • i can tell wit oller will say and that is a big fat nooooooooooo lol i asked the same question and the hos will say its down to u but they will strongly advise against it as its so dangerous. Ive pestered and pestered i ent shut up about trying natural but they wont let me which is a bummer im gutted but there u go im haveing mine at 38 weeks if not 37 cos im haveing probs so only 5- 6 weeks to go wow lol xxx
  • Awww wow big congrats, i suppose its gud in a way where u can plan coz u will know the exact date. However if we do have another baby ill prob be the biggest pain in the arse, do as much research as possible and BEG! lol. xxx
  • hi honey!!

what the others have said is spot on - it is not really recommended to have a VBAC after 2 c/s.

however, you cannot be forced to have a c/s! i would seriously consider what your Dr tells you though!!
  • now listen to your auntie oller she knows wot shes on about lol xxx
  • Lol, i know wat u ladies r saying and of course wen it comes dwn to it ill do wats in the best interest for my baby (if we have another, which im banking we will) but i just feel like abit of a failure having not been able to do it naturally yet and i know i wud beat myself up about it even more if i didnt at least give it ago. My previous 2 pregnancies have been relatively textbook (especially my second) so fingers crossed a third one wud be the same and i can have a natural birth like im dying to experience. Babys health will always cum first tho and that goes without saying. Im just one persistant young lady who bitterly regrets having an elective section last time xxx
  • hi again honey!!

i dont want any of this to appear patronising at all, so please dont take it like that - i suppose i'm just trying to look at things from a different angle for you to stop you feeling guilty / regretful.

think back to why you got pregnant - it wasnt to experience pregnancy / labour / childbirth but to have a baby.

you had a toil with your first, before having little option but to have the c/s, to get the safe delivery of your baby - you gave it a damn good shot before having the c/s - not just because (the saying i hate!!) "too posh to push!". although i appreciate you feeling you were pushed into the elective c/s (that wasnt fair), you still got what you came for - a healthy baby.

like i said, i dont mean any of this in a patronising way, and i'm not saying think yourself lucky you have your children, because that is nowhere near the mark, i'm just trying to say (i suppose) that you did what was best for yourself or your baby at the time. it doesnt matter how they got out, all that matters is that you love them! (and i know you do!!)

please dont be offended by this, like i said i just dont want you to feel let down at all.

xxxxxxxxxx
  • I dont feel offended at all like u said its good to see things from different angels. I know its the end product that matters and it doesnt really matter how u have your children as long as they r happy and healthy, but i cnt help but feels that its something a really want to go for especially as if we do have another it definately will be our last. Loads of people r prob thinking im really weird for feeling like this but its sumthing that i just cnt shake. I suppose only time will tell really, if i get to 39weeks pregnant with my third child an elective section mite sound very appealling, lol.

Thanks for ur veiws i think its really gud to see it from somebody elses point of veiw, if i mention it to anyone in my family they just look at me like im mad for wanting to go thru labour and child birth (i just feel like im missing out on a big part on the having babies experience) xxx
  • Hi I've not posted on here for a long time but just to say I've had 2 c sections and had a successful VBAC with my last baby although I had a normal birth before the first c section and a VBAC between the 1st and 2nd section. I'm currently 22 weeks pregnant and am going for a natural birth again. My consultant has advised a c section but is happy to support me and actually said that this time is less risky than last time. I also do big babies. My biggest was 9lb 12oz
  • Thanks earthmama, its good to know that it can be dun and that Dr's will support if u if thats wot u want. Gud luck its sounds like uv got ur hands full xxx
  • Thanks u too. This is baby no6 for me!
  • Oh my gosh i think i draw the line at 3, lol. Were they all planned? I dont think id be cut out to have a big family like that im not tough enuf, lol x
  • No but I always wanted a big family and the kids love it and are very excited about the new baby.
  • I feel exactly the same kerry. I feel i have missed a vital part of being a woman out. I know the most important thing is my children are healthy but i can't controll my feelings.
    Feeling are not right or wrong, they just are.
    I feel like a failure even thou i know i am not, it will take many years to get over my 2 sections emotionally as they are something i never wanted.
    I want to try for VBA2C even though i will be told of the risks. I was induced after my first section so i really dont feel that i would be in any more risk next time if i dont get pre-eclampsia again and go into labour naturally. I think i might see a consultant before i next get pregnant to see what he says about trying for a natural birth.