Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth

Narrow pelvis

I had my son nearly a year ago by EMCS. Basically my waters broke but 48 hours later I was only 2 cm dilated. They put me onto a drip and after about 6 hours I had only dilated one more cm and my LO's heart rate was dropping dramatically. When the registrar who did the c-section examined me he said I also have an extremely narrow pelvis and he didn't think a natural birth would be possible anyway. We are hoping to try for baby no. 2 soon and I just wondered if anyone else has been told this about their pelvis and also whether you think there is any chance for a VBAC or should I just go straight for planned c-section next time? I didn't mind the section at all but just worry about recovering with a toddler to look after too next time. Thanks!

Replies

• hi honey

this isnt uncommon tbh!! in the olden days women were asked what size shoes they wore, and anyone with size 4 or less was deemed dodgy to have a vaginal delivery!! things have changed somewhat, but dr's can have a good look and see what they think - many a time i have seen it written in notes that women have CPD (Cephalo-pelvic Disproportion) - basically the baby's head is too big to fit through.

this is usually decided that the size of the baby is just too big for mum -basically a 7lb baby could fly through a 5'8" mum, but would get stuck with a 5'0" mum.

i have on the other hand, recently cared for a girl who desperately wanted a vaginal delivery (had an em. c/s last time with a baby about 6lb), this was bigger, but still came out the right way! it isnt the first time i've known it either!!

i think the choice is yours - if you want to go for a VBAC, then fine but be prepared that you may still have the emergency.

if you do go for the el. c/s, they really are not as bad as you think with a toddler, if you involve them and teach them certain things - for example, show them how to get down stairs so you dont have to carry them, show them your dressing / wound so they know not to hurt you etc. i've had 3 c/s now, and with the 2nd & 3rd, i had toddlers - fortunately, i didnt have any issues with them at all!

good luck when you get round to it!