Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

My disgusting stomach after c-section - help?!

Hi there,

I ended up having an emergency c-section a week ago as my daughter was a whopping 10lb4oz at birth. I was just wondering what the story is with this GIGANTIC dangling gut I now have... I was told that the c-section cuts through 7 layers before your womb and each of them are stitched so swelling is to be expected but any tips on reducing it sooner rather than later would be great. I am currently wearing size 18-20 tracksuit bottoms and thats all I can get into - I feel like an alien, am scared to go out and cant drive so mostly stranded anyway. I can deal with all of these things as I would go through it all again for my baby girl but I guess I just need some reassurance that it will go down eventually, is mostly swelling not lard and I wont look 7 months pregnant for the rest of my life... In fact I look worse than that as at least the bump was solid, right now I look like my friends cat which had been run over 6 times and its belly swayed along and scraped the floor when it walked....

Any advice, experience or help would be gratefully appreciated

Reety xx

Replies

• no offence but mostly you should like you had the biggest, healthiest baby... congratulations!

I had my baby via c section 4 months ago and I'm still pained and swollen. I just got some arnica that people on here talk about and it helps alot!

good luck
  • no offence but mostly you should like you had the biggest, healthiest baby... congratulations!

I had my baby via c section 4 months ago and I'm still pained and swollen. I just got some arnica that people on here talk about and it helps alot!

good luck
  • You didnt have ur csec very long ago...no need to worry u have plenty of time to recover...but dont do it too early. Also u have had a whopper! Im not surprised u havent 'popped' back! Vaginal delivery ud of been the same...I had a csec 4 years ago and id say it took 6 months to go bk to as normal as it would get. Im 34 weeks gone now so cant say what i look like...but i know i had a bit of a bump i cudnt get rid...it will get better dont panic and enjoy ur big baby! lol...i thought m 8lb 10oz girl was big! Congratualtions image x
  • Hey Reety
    Oh my god i felt exsactly the same after my emergency section (11 weeks ago now) my daughter was 9lb 3oz , I lost 3stone within 3 weeks of having her ( i put on 3 stone in preg .. 1stone half in last 4 weeks whhoommpphh!!)
    however i used to look in the mirror and get quite upset as i dont think ill ever be able to wear a bikini again my tummy looks like a tiger (i dont rememeber having alot of stretch marks in preg but i now seem to have thousands) and i hattteee it... my tummy used to dangle over but honestly it does go down it takes a few weeks though just remember u just had major surger done !
    Im also a fitness instructor and i been very down not being able to get straight back to wat i was doing before and things are generally going to take alot longer ...
    but then i look at my baby and i dont care ..
    ps i also hate my boobs now they were big before but goodness me they r now massive haha !!

it will go down hun ! its normal too feel like u r
  • hey, try not to let it get you down. i had an emergancy section because they found out my daughter was breech but not until she was ready to make an appearance. i had what can only be described as a 'raised lump' just above my scar and that stayed for ages, has just about gone down now and ciara will be 13 weeks on tuesday. Its still a bit numb and feels a bit weird sometimes but totally pain free. my belly looked like i was about 20weeks pg but squidgy for a week or 2 but now im back to my pre-pregnancy size. I rub bio-oil on my belly and scar every night because its supposed to reduce scaring and stretch-marks,(but dont do this until your cut is healed) i used it throughout my pregnancy and only have 1 small stretch mark so i think it works.

take care

bailey_b
  • After my c-section I swelled alot. From the waist up I was skinny but from the waist down I looked like I was over 200lbs. I remember having the hanging gut under the scar also and was afraid it would not go way but it does. It took some time. You have to remember a c-section is a major surgery and you have to give your body time to heal.
  • I had my section 5mths ago and although I was desperate to get into something other that jogging pants after about 3/4 weeks I had to admit defeat as I was still just too tender and swollen. It will take time but it does get better. take my advice dont be too hard on yourself, I was and I think its because society has us thinking we should snap back into shape before leaving the hospital. A c section is a major operation and your body will right it self !!! xxxx
  • reety
    what you are describing is totally normal!
    i had twins by c - section 14 months ago, and my bump was massive afterwards!
    i wore my maternity jogging pants for ages...

it will totally get better.
    my babies are 14months old now and i am back to normal - but it took a year i reckon.
    we are not pop stars - they must wear bloody corsets to leave hospital !!!!!!!!!
  • i had an emergency section 4 months ago and still have the flabby bits!!! it does go down slowly over time but remember its taken 9 months to get like that so it will take at least 9 months to go back again.  dont over do it so soon afterwards or you will tear something and it will set you back even longer recovery.  the no driving killed me as we live in the sticks!

when the wound is healed up use bio oil and as some other have said Arnica tablets.  Maybe some epsom salts in a bath too.

enjoy your little girl and dont worry about your tummy its a certificate to show your a mummy!

• hiya ive had a c section nearly nine years ago now. your tummy never goes back to the way it was but thats part of motherhood. but it wont be as bad as when you first have one it usually takes a good two years to get your body somewhere near normal, but from experience its not worth worrying over it i spent far too much time worrying over my belly pocket as i call it and it made me suffer severe anxiety from over thinking it. you really need to think of your beautiful baby instead think to your self well this hangover is from the start of my babys life the scar is evidence that your body created a miracle, with out that hang over and scar your baby might not of been here. lifes too short to stress over your tummy ive learnt that. enjoy your little bundle of joy they grow up far to fast. you dont want to miss any if it by stressing over what 7 out of 10 mothers have. hope this helped and good luck to you and your baby. xx
  • I had twins 18wks ago bby c/s, my overhang is immense! I gained 3st and my twins were 6lb 7oz and 5lb 10oz. The scar on my right side is higher than my left image and shows in any undies or bikini bottoms.

My twins are the most amazing little miricles but... I cannot stand my tummy. It's still sore at times and the right side looks like I have a bumbag on, get so down. I cannot stand my hubby looking at me naked. Will this improve?

• hey, i need some advice

i had my little boy march 5th 2011 via emergency c-section as he was a very poorly baby he was delivered at 35 weeks, i still have a very swollen belly and i gt pains like close to contractions, and it feels ike little baby kicks as well, my doctors keep fobbing me off with useless answers ive had a dozen infections within my stomach and womb since my section, and i really dont know what to do any more, im sick of not getting anywere with the doctor :/!

p.s no im not pregnant im on the implant.

any advise would be very gratefulll image

• I also had a c-section last Thurs and can't stand to look at the 'overhang'. I can't look at the scar!! Just can't face it. I know it will get better and I am so thankful for my 9lb6oz blessing of a dd! After waiting 9 years it's so definitely worth it.

The other thing I find difficult is knowing what to do...with regard to taking it easy but not too easy. The major surgery 'thing' is also hard to get my head around.