Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Section due to Placenta Previa?

Hello ladies,

I just wondered if anyone has needed a section as they had placenta previa. I have this and I am waiting to have a scan on 21st to find out if I need a c section. I have had bleeding on and off throughout the pregnancy - although nothing for the last 6 weeks so not sure if that means the placenta has moved up, which I beleive can happen.

I would be interested to know of any experiences of having a C section due to PP. Also- how much earlier than 40 weeks did you have the section??

C xx
32+4

Replies

• Hi
    i was diagnosed with PP at 33weeks. I had complete previa with accreta which means the placenta was welded into uterus. I was put on immed bed rest then booked for section at 37 weeks, However, at 35 weeks i started to heamorrage at home and this ended in an emergency section. We both now fine.
    It was worrying time but my placenta came away well and i did not lose a huge amount of blood. Amelia spent night in SCBU and then needed phototherapy for 48 hrs,

she 6 weeks now and its all behind us!

d x

• by the way lara... thanks for the compliment!!!!!!!!!!!!

d xxx
  • Hi dee dee,

How is your recovery coming along? You said that its all behind you, does that mean your scar has healed well and you are not experiencing much pain? My scar didn't heal well and I'm pregnant again, I'm starting to feel nervous about the baby's delivery. Well, not so much the delivery, more the recovery afterwards.

Thanks, Denise xxx
  • HI Denise,
    I too am Denise!

I have healed well. My scar was black and blue for a long time. I had pain for 5 weeks but i was sterilised at same time so that caused pain and swelling. I had infection and bled heavily at about 11 days which required hospital stay. I just had my 6 week check and passed OK. Still low on iron but its climbing.
    I never had section before and wont be having any more kids (amelia my 5th) so cant comment on getting pregnant again but I am sure you will be fine. Speak to your doctor as he will put mind at rest. i am sure if there were problems he would have told you never to get preg again.

Joanne,,,hope Alex and you doing well now??? Its worrying isnt it when things become an emergency?

d x
  • Hi! I had a planned c-section Aug 07 two days before 37 weeks. Early on in the pregnancy the placenta was found to be low down. It was confirmed week 34 that it definately was placenta praevia and, on top of that, it was also front lying, which meant that when performing the c-section the cut would have to go through the placenta first. I had not had any bleeding at any time so I worked up until 5 days before the op. I had a fantastic consultant who did the surgery and they had blood ready for the blood transfusion. I did not have the option to stay awake during the procedure, and my partner had to wait in another room. I started bleeding heavily straight away and in total I lost 2 1/2 litres of blood. The baby was lying transverse so his arms and legs were facing upwards which made it difficult for the consultant to get hold of him and get him out and the cord was around his neck and one arm three times. My uterus was also found to be twisted which was another thing to be sorted out.... All in all the c-section had been extremely diffficult but luckily I was not aware of anything and was overwhelmed when I woke up and was given our son! Afterwards I was given a morfin injection twice (I asked for it) and after that I was not really aware of any pain, just wanted to enjoy the baby. What wasn't so pleasant was when they removed the drainage (not everyone has this though...) from the scar, it really hurt but only for a few seconds (I was given gas & air but I am convinced it was not turned on!). I went home with the baby on the fourth day and by week 5 I was ok to start driving the car but I didn't do ANY cleaning at all for the first 6 weeks. I am hoping to conceive as soon as possible and will, without a doubt, opt for another c-section. Hope all goes well for you!
  • I am 28 weeks with my first baby and i noticed that my midwife has recorded that I have anterior placenta aka low lyin placenta but she never told me about it. So after looking online i see that ill prob have to have a section. I cant believe they havent told me about this problem. Im super worried now. Ive have no bleeding at all and everything else seems to be normal. 

I have an appointment in 2 weeks, do u think I should phone them tomorrow and ask them what is going on or do you think the two weeks wait wont make any difference??? 

• Hi

In response to the last post I wanted to say that low lying placenta moves for 9/10 cases which is why they don't want to worry you.

It is generally if they suspect is has gone too deep into the womb (palcenta accreta - really rare) that they worry.  Otherwise it is a c section.  Anterior can make it slightly more tricky.

They monitor ladies with previous c sections a bit more closely because the old scar is a 'weak point' in the uterus and so is more prone to the placenta invading too deeply which is the accreta.

I had low lying in my last pregnancy and it moved fine.  Honestly most do.image