Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Anyone frightened of VBAC?

Hi,

I had my baby girl last May, a month early after I had stopped feeling movements. They whipped her out straight away (after I'd popped into hospital on my own thinking they'd just check out baby and send me home telling me I was being paranoid... how wrong was I!)

It was a very frightening experience but luckily my baby girl pulled through after being very poorly for a few days (she'd been loosing blood into me so needed blood tranfusions).

Now I want to start trying for another.

Before I had my daughter I'd been so excited about having a water birth and doing it all totally naturally, I was ridiculously chilled out and almost looked forward to the birth.

I am now so frightened of the idea of labour. I feel like because I had a c-section and I know I can cope with that then it is almost the easier option... even though the recovery after was quite hard and I know it is by no means the easy option... I am so confused. I just want some reassurance from other ladies who have been through the experience, who may have too felt nervous and frightened of a natural birth, and it having gone well...

It worries me I am this worried about it all and I'm not even pregnant yet.

I am ridiculously excited about TTC but this is worrying me, any support welcome x

Replies

• Hi, I totally sympathise and feel exactly the same way. I had an emergency section with my first and I'm due in July with my second. I think the thing that bothers me the most is the thought of going thru labour to end up with another section, at least with a section you know whats happening like you said! They won't induce you because of your previous section so unless you go yourself you will need another section anyway. I will get my date for that in a few weeks time so at least I can see an end to all of this- hopefully it will be the same to you. Hope there are others that come on and tell us that vbac is wonderful!!! And good luck ttc!
  • Hi

Yep I know what you mean. I ended up having a section when i went in at 42 weeks to be induced with my daughter, as she was breech but no one had picked up on it, it's quite disorientating suddenly having a c-section thrust upon you, you're lying in theatre thinking 'a wee while ago I thought everything was going well!', and it must have been especially terrifying for you, I'm glad everything was OK in the end.

So anyway, I'm not even pregnant again yet either, but have been trying to find out as much as possible about VBAC. Was also very chilled out about the prospect of a natural birth first time round, and now feeling terrified this time.

You're right having a section is not exactly the easy option, the recovery wasn't easy for me either, but yes we know we can cope with it, VBAC just carries so many unknowns. But I still think that if possible I'm going to go for it when (if) the time comes.

It may vary by area, some folk on this site are saying you can get induced after a section but only with the gels, they won't put you on the drip as it's too harsh.

Good luck with ttc image and good luck lemon cupcake for July!

Aileen

[Modified by: aileenh10 on May 27, 2010 09:13 PM]

[Modified by: aileenh10 on May 27, 2010 09:15 PM]

• Hi I'm due in nov had a section with my dd cos she was breech,had appt with consultant last thurs & was 100% sure I was having a section this time too,went into consultant & said I know your going to try & talk me out of having a section but that is what I want 1st time round it was relaxing we were well informed I recovered really quickly so that's the way I want it! My dr is lovely she looked after me with last pregnancy so I trust her,she went through the pros & cons of both,So Ive decided to go for vbac after me being so sure! the one thing that swung it for me is that she said they don't treat it like your 1st labour they keep a closer eye on you if I go in 5cm dilated if I havn't progressed in 4-5 hours they would take me in for a section they don't let you labour for long,if you have a section there is an increased risk of having a hysterectomy or bowel problems even though there small risks there still a risk also biggest thing if had a section I wouldn't be able to lift dd & I think she'll have enough to deal with a new baby coming home hope this helps a bit xo
  • hi, i'm due baby no2 in decemeber and although i really want a vbac i'm also really scared of it. i had ds by em c section after a lenghty induction (4days) that resulted in me ony being 2cm and ds being distressed. i'm terrified that they're gonna keep me strapped to a monitor on the bed liek last time, and have even stated already to my mw that if they do decide i have to be immobile then not to bother and just to give me a c section..i'm also scared of how bad the contractions are gonna be, i know with being induced and having the drip its not the same as normal contractions and ds was back to back, but if it was that abd at 2cm, whats it gonna be like if i do go the whole hog?? also, pushing and crowning etc,i've nto done that before, so i'm scared of the unknown i suppose. i really want a vbac because i want to be up and about asap after in order to look after ds (who will only be 21months) and also my edd is not far from xmas, and i fear if it went like last time again i would be stuck in over xmas and miss out on ds 'first proper' xmas. in a way i feel that it would be 'easier' to have an elective as it would most liekly be at 39weeks, so in plenty f time for me to be home, but i felt such a failure last time that i really want to give it ago and feel a succesful vbac (here's hoping) would be best for my family, and not just me, would be best for ds, best for the baby, best for OH and physically and probably emotionally best for me. but i did suffer PTSD after ds birth, so i'm now beginning to get the odd flash back again, whcih i think is clouding my judgement, and i do have to remember that this birth may be nothing like ds birth, and if it does end in a c section again, i don't mind, as long as i've 'had a go'. xx
  • Thank you ladies for being so open with me, this website is amazing for getting honest advice and support. I am so pleased I've discovered it!
    Everything all of you have been saying I can relate to.

I think I am frightened of things going wrong and it all being really scary again. Where as if I have a planned c-section I will know when, where and how it is going to happen. Maybe that's a bit control freakish of me...

I know I will now be consultant led (thats assuming I will get pregnant again, fingers crossed!) so I guess I will have to see what they advise anyway.

Also because my DD (that is 'dear daughter' isn't it??? or am I using it wrong?) is only 13 months old if I do fall straight away should I worry I haven't left it long enough for my scar to heal - I was told wait one year before trying again which I have, but have heard others have been told two years.... ???

Well you have all made me feel better knowing i am not totally over paranoid and crazy for having these thoughts. This baby making business is quite scary stuff - totally worth it in the end though. My baby girl brings me so much happiness!

Thanks again xxx
  • lol, yes DD is dear daughter. also i was told one year minimum, pref two, some are told 6months, some are told three years, really depends on ur consultant and thier personal policy really. we started ttc when ds was 11months and conceived at 12months, so bang on what i'd been told and no one had mentioned any issues with that and my mw doesn't see any reason why i can't have a vbac so shouldn't generally be any issues on that front (age of scar). xx
  • hi again
    I decided to ask a few mummy friends who had sections what they think, and it seems most of us are now very scared of the prospect of VBAC having been pretty chilled about the birth during our first pregnancies!
    It's good to know they wouldn't treat it like your first labour, thanks cloclo.
    ah well, one way or another the babies will be coming out.... image
    good luck
    aileen xx
  • VBAC is wonderful!!!image
    My first DD was born as a category 1 c-section under a general anaesthetic. One minute i was in labour the next I was coming round! Most traumatic experience of my life. That was Jan 08. DD2 was born last month. I was really scared of VBAC and was umming and ahhing about having an elective but I got brave and went for it.

It was the best decision of my life! It wasn't without complications (DD2 was stuck) but she was born using the ventouse, 6 hours after being admitted.

I was up and showered an hour after she was born and didnt feel like I had been hit by a bus like I did last time.

I really cant get over how different the birth was.They kept a really close eye on me and assured me that if they had ANY inclination that my scar or the baby were unhappy they would take me to theatre. Thankfully that never happened. They were really encouraging throughout and I cant thank them enough. I feel that DD2 and I bonded straight away where as I didnt feel close to DD1 until she was about 3 months old. It sounds awful to say it now but I suffered so badly with flash backs that I got really low but never told anyone.

Hope that helps

Serena