Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

epidurals scared

hi all
im 15weeks pregnant and due 13th march for my 2nd baby my 1st was delivered by emergency c section i was put to sleep as her heart rate dropped really low (long story)
ive now opted for a c section this time and my docs have agreed
the only problem is im so scared of having a needle in my back i hate needles anyway but i keep thinking how bad its going to be
can any of you ladies please give me some advice if they are painful or not i dont mind if you are honest i would rather know
thanks donna

Replies

• Options
    i had an emergency sec due to long second stage and failed forcepts, from what i remember the worst bit was the cold spray they put on your back before, i dont remember feeling the needle although i was still having contractions at the time, it was a spinal i had though which made me compleatly numb from the chest down with in a minute or so x
  • Options
    hi, i had an em c section (awake) and tbh, it was the calmest part of my labour, i had had on my birth plan that i didn't want any thing going near my spine (except obv for c sec) but, i'm a complete convert now lol. they did a couple of little local anaesthetics first but to be honest i only felt the first one and even that was justa scratch, i only knwo the spinal block had been adminstered because my legs went all warm like iwas being put in a bath lol. i'm not sure about epidural but should imagine its similar procedure, but also not sure whther u'd be having spinal or epidural, don't knwo if they use epidural only for those who are in labour and alreday had that as their pain relief or if its also the choice for a planned c section (imagine it wears off quicker...) xx
  • Options
    Hi, on my 2nd pregnancy I choose to have an elective c-section ( my first was an emergency under g/a due to fetal distress) but like you I have a really bad fear of needles. The day I went in and had my dd, even though it was classed as an emergency ( went into labour before) every thing was so calm.
    I can remember leaning over the bed and being given a local anesthetic ( spelling) before doing the spinal and the honest truth is the worse injection/needle of the day was the canulas that were put in both hands.
    Like WoW Baby I hadn't even realised it had been done until my legs started feeling really warm and tingly.
    My sister had her ds by c-section and it was done using an epidural and she said it didn't hurt at all even though she was expecting it too
  • Options
    i have to agree with canulas, they are by far the worst needles ever. both of my epidurals were given during labour so you don't tend to think about that actually hurting, you think about the fact it will take the pain away. i dont recall any pain or anything when i had mine tho, i do remember after the emcs tho that i had the wire coming out of my back for a day or so xxx
  • Options
    I felt the scratch of the local anaesthetic but not the actual spinal too, although when it went in it felt like I got an electric shock down my right leg?! but that was over very quickly.
    Also remember the cannulas in my hands, but not them going in for some reason, i think i was so freaked out about the spinal other stuff wasn't really registering, but then the spinal was fine!!
    Mine was an elective too, so even though I was shaking and crying it was actually a very relaxed atmosphere, there was a student anaesthetist there too who was great, chatting away and relxing me. xx