Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

How long did you stay in hospital....

following your c-sec?

Hi Ladies, just got my date through today - 28th Sept - eeks! I'm hoping that I will be fit and well to leave hospital by the Friday which is 3 full nights...in your opinion is this long enough to stay in? I've never ever stayed in hospital before and the though of being without hubby for so long is awful! :cry:

Also, how long was it before you felt well enough to be left alone with bubs and drive etc? I understand everybody is different I just want to see if there is a 'general healing' time.

Thanks for your help xx

Replies

• Think the general rule is 3night stay. Too be honest I ws glad of few days with the baby without the constant stream of friend an family calling. Hubby could stay at hospital all day 7am-9pm.
    They say not to drive for 6weeks but I drove after 3! Drivig was easier than walking!
    Day of section is difficult, but each day after gets better. After few weeks I could do pretty much wht I did before apart from lifting/ walking far.x
    Good luck, not long now.xx
  • I had my dd on a monday,and didnt leave hospital until wednesday.I hated staying in,i just wanted to go home and be a little family.My partner (and family/friends)had to work though so i did find it very lonely so maybe thats why i hated it so much.
    I was left alone with my DD straight away as my partner had to work,but i found it all fine and felt pretty good considering id just had a major surgery.I don't drive so i cant comment on that,but i was walking everywhere straight away.They say the healing time is 6 weeks but everyone does vary, the only thing i found was that my stomach felt very tender and bruised but it didnt stop me doing anything.
    Im 21 weeks pregnant with my 2nd child and hoping to opt for another section as my experience was really positive apart from the staying in part but this time my OH will take paternity leave.
    Hope this helps x
  • We ahd a week in, but mostly becasue of baby jaundice and my BP (PE). I was soooooo desparate by the end, was really hard doing 12 hr nights on your own. I was fine physically, no trouble with my scar, but its just lonely and tiring. Most people are out by 3 days, im sure youll be ok!

Em x
  • i had an em c section so recovery time is longer and as is hospital stay compared to a planned c section. i had ds early hours saturday, transferred to the birth centre on the sunday and went home on the wednesday, i could've gone hom on the tuesday but i wanted some extra help with bf so decided to stay in an extra night. i don't drive anyway so can't help with that, but general duties like hoovering etc they say to avoid for 6 weeks, u are after all, reccovering from major abdominal surgery. but i went to tesco on the way home on the wednesday and felt fine, and by the the time ds was a week was going fro walks round the village and by 1.5-2weeks was walking the 20minutes walk into town (mind u it did take me 40mins, and i got the bus home!). i think with a planned c section the general stay is more like 2 nights/3days, i know before i had ds i was petrified at the thought of having to stay in on a ward but now i'm having baby no2 even if i have a vbac i'll be staying in for at least 1 night, just for some reassurance bf wise and to get a bit more rest as with a toddler at home that'll be impossible lol. plus i don't want hiom to meet her for the first time when i bring her home and she's just suddenly there, that way ds can meet her for a little bit on the ward a couple of times before i bring her home so he's a bit used to her. and no visiotrs expect u to make the tea if ur in hospital lol...x
  • It must vary in different hospitals as i had an emergency section and was in for 3 days(2nights).
    Maybe worth asking your midwife as she would know exactly what happens at your particular hosp x
  • I had a planned section due to breech, had dd on the Thursday but then we didn't come home until the Tuesday think that was day 5, but I was having a lot of problems. Think in general it's 3 days.

good luck! not long now :\)
  • I had an em c section at 4am on Sunday and was out at 6pm on Monday! It was only one night but it felt much longer and I could walk have a shower on my own ect... They were really busy in the hospital and I felt I would be better off at home with people to help me. I could walk short distances straightaway, and I was pushing the pram to the shops (10 min walk) after 4 days. After a couple of weeks I was pretty much back to normal.
  • had my section at 1:30pm on the friday and came out at 9pm sunday night xxx
  • i had an em c section at 156am on a sunday and came out on the wednesday night. which i asked to be discharged as both dd and i were fine, i was up and about on the sunday afternoon.
  • i had an emergency section and was in for 5 days due to various problems, as a planned section general rule is 3 days although there was a lady who stayed 2 as she was doing so well, you are not insured to drive until 6 weeks, and i wasnt well enough anyway, it took me longer to recover as i had a few problems after, i was back to exercising at 17 weeks though, as long as you try not to do too much you will find things get earier every day x

good luck,
  • I had an emcs after a failed induction. I had my little boy at 1.06 on the Saturday morning and came home on the Monday afternoon. I would have been home on the Sunday but I had lost some blood and my iron levels were low so I had to stay in an extra day to make sure they didn't drop any further.

I'd check with your mw, it looks as if policies vary for different hospitals.

My recovery was very quick, I felt pretty rough for first few days but I improved very quickly. I still looked seven months pregnant for a while though image

T+Sebastien (12 weeks)