Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Failed VBAC, but glad I tried.

Hey I know some of you would have read my previous posts and known how much i wanted a vbac. I went into spontaneous labour and was progressing well on gas and air and then pethadine (which i thought was fab!) however labour stopped progressing at 6 centimetres dialated and pain really kicked in, then i started to bleed really badly so was taken for emergency c-section. however unlike my previous c-setion I was awake so i heard my babys cry which was so important to me.

Despite all not going to plan, I am really pleased I experienced early labour and would do it all again (although have been told if i get pregnant again it will have to be an elective section. So would def recommend trying for a vbac if you want to xxDBxx

Replies

• Hey Zoey

Firstly im not for or against elective c-sections, I would have personally prefered a vbac for a number of reasons.

Firstly had twins via emergency section under general anesthtic (sp) due to rapid and severe pre-eclampsia so never felt like i had actually given birth. felt i had missed out on their first cry etc, so it was important for me to be at least awake with this baby.

I always knew that a emergency c-section was gonna be a possibility however I think it is best for baby if you can go into spontaneous labour so for me i would have rathered ending up with a emergency section than having an elective. Also even tho it all went wrong with the twins I enjoyed experiencing labour and i wanted to experience it again. I guess i alway assumed that i would be able to have a normal birth and i wanted to give it another go.

However the overwhelming reason i wanted a vbac is the fact that my twins are only 17 months and i cant explain to them why mummy cant pick them up. My husband cant get time off work so I have had to rely on friends to help with the boys and i cant take them to playgroups as i cant drive for 4-6 weeks. Also i didnt want to spend long in hospital, really fancied going in, delivering and being home four hours later!

I must say i was really worried about how the boys would react but they have been ace, I think that do understand that something is wrong with mummy and its not been as bad as i feared. If we do have another which is extrememly unlikely I would have to have an elective and i can see the benefits of it but i would be a bit sad that i couldnt have all the labour build up.

At the end of the day I think that you have to go for what ever is right for you xxDBxx
  • no not at all. sorry if post sounded touchy i just was being careful as i didnt want to offend anyone who had/wanted an elective. I really believe in going for a vbac, but think every woman has a right to choose. as i said in earlier post even tho it all went wrong i wouldnt have missed the experience for the world. good luck ttc no 2 xxDBxx