Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth

Worried about VBAC

HI, I've just discovered I'm pregnant with my second child just eight months after my little girl was born! I had a terrible birthing experience with my dd and it resulted in an emergency c-section. Now I really really don't want to go through that again, the thought of it makes me sooo scared. I thought I'd be able to have an elective c-section but my GP told me last week that the hospital might insist on me trying for a VBAC.

Do you think this is right? I really thought once you've had one section you could opt to have an elective? I hope I can cos I don't think I can go through that again!

ps. my dd was 10lbs 1.5ozs at birth, she was two weeks late. I was induced, had 4 pessaries which failed. They broke my waters and there was thick meconium, had to be on continuous fetal heart monitoring, put on a drip as contractions weren't strong enough, they then had to turn drip down as dd was in distress! i only progressed to 6cm over 2 days, they decided she was stuck and as she was in distress I had to have an emergency c-section. Afterwards I lost loads of blood so had to have transfusion, all in all I was in hospital for 9 days!

Replies

• Hi, I think hospitals are under pressure to reduce sections due to costs so will encourage you to try for a vbac. My situation was similar, although not as traumatic. My consultant second time round really tried to encourage me to try for a vbac but I stood my ground and have now been booked in for my section on 26 May. I spoke to my midwife and she said that if the consultant refused to co-operate, she would change my consultant for me. Speak to your midwife, as you are well within your rights to not put your body through that again. Good luck xx
  • You just have to be determined in what you want dont sway in any way infront of them. I had a c section first time round and its what I want this time round but the doctors really have tried to talk me out of it im really stuborne so I wont budge in what I want. I have an appointment at 34 weeks to discuss it futher but to me there is nothing to discuss so Il be going up and just getting my date to come in and have my baby.
  • I am 26 weeks pregnant and r in the rotherham area I had to have a c section 2.5 years ago cause my little one was breach. the hospital didn't give me a choice they just said that i was to have a vbac cause of the risks they never asked for my thoughts in any thing