Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Infected C-Section wound

Hi girlies
I had to have an emergency c-section last week and now I've got an infection in it. It keeps weeping out loads of pink fluid and the GP has got me on antibiotics. I'm in a little bit of pain with it, but I'm just toally fed up now cos I feel like I'm struggling to look after my baby properly. Has anyone else here had an infected c-section wound and how long did it take to heal?
Thanks
M x

Replies

• I had one with my first baby after the antibiotics kicked in I was fine. I must say though that I was very lucky and never felt that I wasnt able to look after baby properly. I just hope im as lucky this time round!!
  • I had an emergency section on 10th May, which unfortunatley got infected. I got outof hospital 13th, spent two horrible nights at home and when the midwife came to remove my stitch on 15th she sent me back to the maternity hospital and they admitted me for 3 more nights with antibiotics through a drip!

My wound had opened and got infected, apprently it was quite badly infected and a nurse comes to the house everyday to'pack' the wound.

I think mines is pretty extreme case and I don't think severe infections happen very often, but if you're still in a lot of pain with it ( i couldn't get out of bed without being in agony and tears, couldn't straighten up when I walked and it leaked loads pink watery fluid, couldn't lift my little boy etc) see the GP again or speak to your midwife (it took 4 midwifes looking at mine before one of them realised how infected it was) I also found after the stitch was out few. I felt tonnes better.

My notes say my high BMI (although my BMI was only 28 and hygenie issues - which when I saw this in my notes I freaked out thinking the were implying I was dirty! Hmm hormones!! But I couldn't straighten up in the shower to clean it properly and it hurt like hell when the water went near it) caused my infection, but I think it was because when Jaxson was delivered he apparently smelt odd, which can be a sign of infected waters and common in babies that are overdue-he was 13 days late-so I think the infection came to the surface when I had the section. i'll never know though. I was pretty run down at after getting induced on the 8th and not actually having Jaxson until 10th, lack of sleep and proper healthy food probably didn't help my recovery either.

To be honest, it has made me feel really down. I struggled with breast feeding (which I gave up) because I couldn't hold him close enough to me because of the wound, I missed some of his first days being so poorly and generally feeling like my body couldn't deliver my baby or recover after the section I felt a bit of a failure - which I know I'm not.

I'm still recovering now and the nurse says it'll be weeks before it heals. But my little boy is worth it and I'd do it again everyday for him.

Wow, I never expected the post to be that long, I obviously needed to get it off my chest!

Anyway, I hope yours gets better soon and I my post has helped a bit! xx
  • Oh my god, you have my complete sympathy, you've had a really tough time mcgillair. I really hope it clears up for you soon. My wound is still weeping a lot but the pain isn't so bad and it hasn't opened up thank god. Tho it's still horrible and distressing. I think what caused mine was when the stitch was taken out. It didn't come out very easily at all and the MW had to really tug on it. Turned out that there was a little knot in it so as it was being pulled out it was catching my flesh. Eeew horrible! I'm beginning to feel better about it now tho, as Mathilda is doing well so that's something to be thankful for.