Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Q.

hello ladies,

ive a question i know the healing process can take a long time but im really thinking about another baby, my daughter is now 3months old & im not sure how long i should wait? my c-sec was emergency after 48 hrs of labour after i was induced (9days OD) after 2 nights in hospital they allowed me home but within 3 days my wound was open again & i ended up with MRSA. not the best of all starts as being my 1st child it wasnt exactly the best experience & would rather it healed properly before becoming pregnant again incase it caused more problems fro me, if anyone could help with this at all id be very greatfull

Thanks

L x

Replies

• hi, i waited 12months to ttc again (well 11months, but figured wouldn't fall on the first month lol) as this is what i was advised if i wanted a vbac, it really is v individual though and different consultants will say different things, i was told 12montsh minimum, but i know otehr poeple were told 6 months and some told 3 years! i also ahd an em c section after a 4 day induction, my scar did split a little but only atr one side and got an infectin but its felt fine since about 3montsh postnatal, if urs spliot right open and u got mrsa it amy ahve compromised the strength of the scar tissue, i would say to wait until atleast 6 months if u don't mind vbac or elective c sec, but if ur dead cert on vbac then u mat find ur best waiting closer to 12months (i say this because i friend of mine fell pregnant again 3 montsh after c section and she was told that they really didn't recommend her trying for vbac after that short time, but that previous pregnancy had ended at 27 weeks anyway so she was at more risk anyway of prem labour etc so maybe why they asked her to wait, but i had 12months from birth to falling pregnant again and i've been told they see knwo reaosn why i acn't ahve a vbac, oh and btw the friend who ahd the 3 month gap has now gone full term with that pregnancy is due her c sec next week)...hwoever i'm a believer in that really even if u've had a natural birth that u should wait 9months as it atkes this long for ur body to replace all the nutrients u lost while pregnant to make sure ur in 'tip top' condition. if i were u i would see ur gp or arrange an appointment with a gynae, hopefully they'll be able to look at ur sacr and give u a better idea of how its healing and how long u would be best to wait.

hth xx
  • I was told to leave it for a minimum of 6 months but preferrably 12 in order to let the scar and scar tissue heal sufficiently to cope with another pregnancy x
  • i had an emergency c sec in dec and my wound reopened 10 days post surgery, luckily it wasnt infected but it was an awful time, we are TTC no2 now, 6 months on

good luck x
  • hi girls thank you all for your oomments they are appreciated & i shall go see a doctor about how long i should wait & maybe check with HV or MW thanks xxx