Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth

Epidural or Spinal block???????

Hi there sorry to sound dumb but which one seems to be the best in terms ov wearing off n mobility? I av just found out that mw thinks lo is breech need a scan friday to confirm, but if she is it will be an elective c-section wich i am begining to panick about (had a emergency one wi last daughter so was asleep) i have read quite a few different stories on the procedure and i am really dreading it now.
Sorry to drone on but any advice will be greatly reseived thanks in advance.
Adele xxx

Replies

• I had an elective c sect in March after an emergency c sect under g/a with my first daughter 3 years ago.

With my elective sect they used both. They put the epidural in first but put nothing through it. The spinal block is used for the actual procedure as it is more effective than an epidural. They keep the epidural in for approx 24 hrs afterwards to put your pain relief through.

Hope this helps.

I must say that my elect section was an absolutely amazing experience (especially after the trauma of the first). I still had skin to skin contact in recovery & we were allowed to film it (not everyone's cup of tea but very emotional to watch back on and you can't see all the gore!) :lol:

Hope you have an amazing birth which ever way you go! xxx
  • Thanks 4 ur replys i am still kacking meself tho!! i dont like hospitals best of times let alone having to stay in after c-section i demanded to go home day after i had my emergency section, i just dont want to leave my other 2 daughters oldest wont be to bad but the youngest is very clingy and wont even stay wi her dad let alone anyone else while i am in hospital, :cry:
  • think epidural is more flexible as can be topped up many times were as a spinal is a one off injection into the spine that lasts about 2 to 3 hours! I think anyway!

I had spinal even tho it was emergency but the neonatologist was on way to hospital and they did not want to deliver baby without her there as we already had serious doubts over the stablitly of baby once born. As it was she needed 15 mins of resussitation to get her going so thank god they waited for doctor. The spinal wore off about 3 hours later. It was weird as I felt like my legs were still bent even though then werernt all throught the op. They were bent when spinal went in and as they went numb thats how I felt they still were. I was grateful for the spinal as once it wore off the pain was quite horrific. A few shots of pethidine saw to that!

d xx
  • Hi Dee Dee,

How far on was u when u had ur section?
    I am just wondering whats the earliest they will preform them, as with my other 2 it was just short of 38wks when i went into labour and the last was a emergency section so i dont want to end up down that road again..