Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Epidural / spinal

Hi
excuse my ignorance but whats the difference between an epidural and a spinal block?
My last two c sections were emergency and done under general, but this time it is planned.
Many thanks

Maria x

Replies

• Options
    I think they are put in 2 different places in your back (not 100% sure) The main difference is that a spinal only lasts for a limited amount of time whereas an epidural stays in and can be topped up if it is likely to take longer than usual. I had a spinal with my first planned section as it was straight forward but an epidural with my 2nd cause they had to do another minor proceedure at the same time so it took longer.
    Claire 37+2
  • Options
    o thanks for telling me.
    Mm suppose i'll have to wait and see how things go. The last couple of times, i didnt get to see my baby until the next day as they were in NICU. I would love to meet this one just after birth, but i am a bit worried as they may have to work on him or her and that will be the scary bit.
    maria xx
  • Options
    I had an epidural, which I still needed to use gas and air for the pain in my right side.

After pushing for an hour, I was sent for an emergency c-section. They asked me how the epidural was working....it wasn't! So they gave me a spinal to make sure I couldn't feel anything.

It still felt as if the surgeon was doing washing up in my stomach.

So I agree spinal block is better than an epidural. And the procedure to me seemed very similar.
  • Options
    Spinal block it is then!
    when i had my first emergency C with my son, the cord had prolapsed and everything happened so fast. I can remember them getting me to kneel on all fours ( not easy with an epidural) and the MW on the bed holding everting in. It must have looked like we were playing American football lol. The staff was pushing us down the corridor to the theatre on the bed. we reached the theatre and as i turned around, all i saw was this really big surgeon holding a knife! i screamed at the aneathetist ' OMG, put me to sleep first!!' lol
    maria x
  • Options
    I was told you can feel more with an epidural where a spinal spreads a lot better to numb you from the bump down

• Options
    I've read that with a spinal the needle is a lot smaller and actually pierces into the spinal fluid whereas with an epidural it doesn't. The epidural needle is bigger and it put into the epidural space not piercing the membrane into the spinal fluid.
    As others have said a spinal is more effective but there are more risks of getting a headache afterwards so have the paracetamol ready!

Vicky - good luck for tomorrow. I'm due a section on Fri 17th Aug.

Shell xx
  • Options
    I had a spinal on my first elective section and it worked fantastic. I had epidural on my second which lead to my emergency section. It worked for the contractions but i could feel pain on my left side during the operation even after they topped it up. They were going to give me a GA but i refused and said i would cope with it rather than miss my sons birth. Then the anestatist put something in my canula which helped with the pain. I have also had pains and aches in my back ever since!