Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

waiting after a c section

i was told by the staff at hospital to wait at least a year if not 2 before 5trying for another baby so that the wound is completely healed. my mate just had a c section and when she spoke to the doctor he saaid that she only needed to wait 6 months. does anyone know how long it is best to wait. i also would like a vbac if i can so not sure if that wiould make a difference

Replies

• Thank You for your reply. i definately want them close together. its good to know you had a vbac
  • Hiya - I had a section but not thinking about no. 2 yet! Lol.
    My mum got pregnant with my sister 8 months after having a caesarean with me, everything was fine but she was advised to have another section (nothing to do with the time gap between the births, it was due to a back problem and my sister was expected to be big though she was only 7lb 12 in the end!). My boyfriend's mum had an emergency c section for her second baby (she'd had natural birth for the first), got pregnant with her third just 5 months after and had a VBAC so it can be done. I think they advise the time gap as an approximation but don't matter so much if it is closer together, they will just keep an eye on you I think. xx
  • I had a c-section 9 months ago and I am 6 months pregnant. So far no pain, just some discomfort when my clothes rub my scar (some maternity clothes have a funny under the bump seam). My GP said that there is a good chance that I may not be allowed to go to term and I may have to have another section but the consultant I spoke to at 20 weeks thinks that I will be fine to go through a normal pregnancy and have a vaginal birth. We'll see how things go.

I have to comment on how much more tired I am this time round and my back is much more uncomfortable because I have a little one to chase after. I have had to start my maternity leave much earlier this time as a result. This may be something for you to consider. If you have help at home you will probably be fine but my husband works away and I can't expect my sister and parents to rearrange their lives for us.

Good luck with what ever you decide. Denise xxx
  • Hi had emergency c-section with my twins then fell with no 3 when they were 8 months. I was recommended to wait a year just to let body recover, however fell after a drunken night of passion. so far all has been good, have been told that can be induced but will have to be closely monitered in hospital from begining of labour am 32 weeks now and hoping for a vbac but we will see good luck to you all xxDBxx
  • I heard to wait a year before having another baby with any form of labor, whether its c section or vaginal for your body to completely heal.

But, I've also heard to wait 6 months.

Honestly, I think it's all a matter of doctors opinions, and whether or not YOUR body can take it, everyones body is different..

My husband and I have a friend who got pregnant ONE month after giving birth, and the baby, and the mother were both fine. Now a days, anything is possible.

Just don't do what I did. When people would ask "oh is this your first baby?" I'd respond with "yes, and my last." And litterally, one year later...to the DATE, I was pregnant again. I seriously though if we were to have other kids, it would be a dog....

Going to have a second c section.. I couldn't imagine having vaginal. Those women are tough!