Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

My Elective CS

My Little boy Theo was born on 30th June. weighing 5lb 8oz via planned c-section.

Throughout my pregnancy I had scans that indicted low fluid and also my yellow bump was breech from at least 28 weeks. I could feel the head under my right breast the whole of the third trimester. Due to the fact baby was beech we were told we would need a c-section at 39 weeks exactly. Up till the morning of the section I kept thinking the baby would turn around but it never happened.

On the morning of the 30th I woke up about 5.30am after around 3-4 hours sleep. I was so excited and nervous and could not believe that the next day I would be a mummy. We had to arrive at the hospital at 7.30am so we left around 6.45am. During the car journey I kept getting lots of good luck messages which was lovely. Once we arrived we went to the ward and we were allocated a bed. The nurse came round and took my blood pressure, a doctor came around and got me to sign the consent form and they scanned me to check I was still breech. I was and they told me I would be second on the list.

They left me with a gown to change into and asked my hubby to get a nappy and a hat ready to take to the theatre. At around 10.30am a midwife came to see us and told us they were ready for us. Me and hubby looked at each other. We were scared, excited and nervous. We followed the midwife up to the theatre wating room holding on to each other closely and wondering what else the morning had in store. When we got up to the theatre we had to wait in the waiting room to be called in. Hubby was sent off to get changed into his scrubs and everyone kept saying that he looked more nervous than I did.

Around 11. am we were called in to the theatre. There were lots of people in the room but it is all a bit of a blur. I was asked to sit on a table and I was fitted up to a blood pressure monitir. I had to bend forward on the table as an anethiest looked for the correct place to enter the needle. They sprayed my back first to numb it so I didn't feel the needle as it went in. Then I was asked to lay down and the anesthetic started to work. First of all my toes went numb and I could feel it working its way up my body. I was vaguely aware of a lady putting a catheter in and then my gown was tied up on either side to make a curtain. They sprayed me to see if the anesthetic was up to my ribs. It wasn't. They left me for 10 minutes, they moved the bed down so my head was lower than my legs but it still didn't work. They then had to give me a second dose. They rolled me on my side and inserted some more anasthetic. They then gave it a second try and it worked. It was now time for the surgeons to start work.

I remember them putting a cd in it was the lighthouse family - lifted.

Hubby was called over to sit next to me and the 2 surgeons started cutting. I didn't feel anything except some pulling and tugging. It felt like my tummy was on a rollercoaster but the rest of my body was still. After about 10mins I heard a cry and they showed the baby over my gown. My husband said it's a boy. The poor baby's testicles were really swollen so it was easy to tell he was a boy. The midwife then took the baby and went with my hubby to a nearby room to do the various checks. I could hear the baby crying and I could see my husband standing side on and smiling. I had never seen him look so happy, excited and relieved. I lay there looking to my right and watching what was going on. I was crying with joy and relief while I was being sewed up. Hubby briefly came over to me and showed me a picture of our little man as I had only seen him for 2 seconds over the screen. I asked him how big he was and he said 5lb 8 - I could not believe how small he was. I then told Hubby to go back and look after him and make sure he was ok. The various theatre staff kept coming up to me and saying congratulations and saying how cute he was. After a short while Hubby came over with our little boy all wrapped up in a hat and a blanket. He was so tightly wrapped up all I could see was one eye poking out. Soon after hubby and baby were sent off to the recovery room to wait for me. While they finshed sewing me up the surgeon told me that my palcenta was very small and had not beenworking properly and that was why he was so small. She said how pleased she was that I had had a c-section as he would have deteriorated had he been left in another couple of weeks.

When I arrived in the recovery room Hubby placed our little boy on my chest and immediately he started to feed. He fed for around 30 minutes., all was fine with my blood pressure and I was wheeled back down to the ward. As I was being pushed through the corridor I felt so proud holding on to my little lad. As we were pushed through the antenatal department I kept thinking about all the times I had been there for scans and ctg monitroirng and could not believe that I was coming past there with my little boy in my arms. We decided he was going to be called Theo and then when we were back on the ward. Hubby went off to call family and friends. I stayed in hospital for 2 nights and was allowed home on the Friday.

Overal the c-section went really well. I found it difficult to bend down for about 10days and my scar got infectced and weepy so I had to have antibiotics. However, even with all this the c-section went really well and provided me with my beautiful , helathy little boy.

Now Theo is 5 weeks old and I can't believe how quickly the time is flying by. I love him to bits and am really enjoying being a mummy xxx Good luck for everyone having a c-sec soon xxx

Replies

• Congratulations!

It's great to hear positive elective c-s stories! Mines is in 3 weeks time. xx
  • What a lovely story, such an enjoyable and emotional read, congratulations xx
  • what a lovley story hun, glad all went ok , im getting so exited now after reading that my section is next fri , canny wait , x
  • Nice to hear what to expect with a c-section. Found out that I am more than likely have to have a planned c-section. Found out that I have a vascular malformation in my groin and it may be to risky for a vaginal birth. Had to have a MRI scan yesterday to see how far the veins go up my belly. Find out on wednesday what will happen. Feel scared.
  • Thank you for sharing your story, it was lovely to read, I got my date for my section today, this is my first pregnancy and I'm a bit tearful and aprehensive about having a section and don't really know what to expect so your story has really helped to give me some insight. xxx
  • Thanks for your lovely comments girls. It really was a good experience and I really don't feel as if i missed out not having a natural birth. Who knows maybe I will next time - If that is meant to be - if not then i am not bothered at all as long my babies arrive safely that is all that is important to me.

Good luck with all your upcoming deliveries I hope they all go smoothly. It wont be long before you are holding your beautiful babies in your arms So exciting !!

.I must admit was a bit worried before hand about the c section but there really was notihng to worry about

I wish I could do it all again it really was the best day of my life so far and my Hubbie feels the same. Got to go I can hear my little monkey stirring xxxx