Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth

fast labours?

I had a very fast first labour,i was having mild contractions for about 6hours but in actual labour for 2hours of which half hour was pushing.I gave birth to my little girl maddison weighing 5lb15oz.

I'm keen to have more children but am terrified of how fast the next labour will be,dont like the idea of a home birth but think it might be my only option to prevent me having my next baby on the way to the hospital.anyone have any advice/experience?

Replies

• hi, my first labour - from beginning of pains- was about 8 hours , 2nd time was about 5 hours,and 3rd time was 3 hours, now I'm due another baby in 5 weeks and know i need to get to hospital when the pains begin.  This may not be the case for you and your next baby could be a longer labour, you just never know.  Good luck!
  • My first was 25 hours,but that was induced.2,3 and 4 were about 4 hours from arriving at the hospital.I was at home with 5 .I had pains on and off most of the day,but nothing serious till about 6:30 in the evening,and they stopped again while I was in the bath.I thought the midwife was going to go home cos it had stopped again..About 8 stood up to get out the bath they started again.Arwen was born 8:48.Some of that time was me "hanging on" while the midwife ran out to the car for her birthing kit/gas and air.The second midwife who was supposed to attend didn't get there in time.

Number 6  felt like mild peiod pains at 7:30 ish.Called the midwife 9 ish.9:30 the pushing stage started,but this time the baby was stuck.They only give you so long then they take you into hospital,so we went off in an ambulance about 11-1130.Baby was born by ventouse at 1202.If she'd not been in an awkward position she'd have been quicker.Each birth is different.

This next one's being born in hospital.I am a bit worried about getting there in time.My last ones have been on and off,right till the last minute,then it all happens really quick.I don't want to be sent home because they think it's a false alarm,only to have the baby in the car on the way home or whatever.

• My first labour was 6 hrs from beginning to end (6lbs 7 oz), my second labour was 8 hrs from beginning to end (8 lbs 12 oz), the pushing stage took longer as the baby was much bigger.my

my 3rd child was born  6 weeks prem and labour only lasted 28 minutes from beginning to end. luckily I was already in hospital at that stage as the car journey would have taken about an hour she was 5lbs 3 oz.