Forum home› Pregnancy› Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

did anyone have a hb without a pool?

i am still toying with the idea of getting a pool but dont know whether i could manage without one. hearing people's experiences of labour, pools seem to make it a little more manageable!

what do people who had dry home births think?

calleigh
39+1!!!

Replies

• hiya
    i had a lovely homebirth - v quick and looking back quite easy really! i had always planned to have a water birth and hired the pool and planned all the details etc and...

when i was in labour ... the pool annoyed me lol!
    at the time it really didnt bother me - it didnt take the edge off so it wasnt like 'but i want to be in the pool' in the end i had a 7 hour labour and was in the pool for only about an hour before everyone could see it wasnt working for me so i got out, almost delivered baby on the loo and then gave brith to dd near the sofa looking at the poolimage

it didnt bother me at all, in fact i should have probably had a heads up not to bother with the pool as the bath they suggest in the eraly stages annoyed me too - but then i had gone 10 days over with lots of practice runs so when she decided it was time she did not hang around and went from a twinge to almost full blown contractions straight away and involuntary pushing quite early on - shows how comfy a homebirth makes you feel - im sure if i had had to go to hosp this wouldnt have been the case!!

good luck

a home birth doesnt have to be in a pool (altho i will try again next timeimage )

jane xxx
  • hi,
    i had a home birth with my third. we didn't have a pool as there was no was it could fit in the living room and also the floor wasn't strong enough to take the weight! i gave birth leaning over the sofa kneeling on some sheets and a shower curtain to catch my waters. it all bundled up afterwards and the carpet was fine! x
  • Im hoping for a home birth and im not getting a pool. I HATE clutter and having a pool in the middle of the room for however many weeks will just drive me insane!! Plus i hate getting wrinkly in the bath so if i was in a pool for ages that would probably annoy me too! lol x
  • I had a homebirth, but knew from the start that I didn't want to have a pool. I get agitated when my skin gets dry from swimming / being in the bath, so I knew a water birth wasn't for me!
  • hi there I had a home birth with my last child and it was fantastic I didn't have a pool Im planning on having a home birth with the baby Im carrying and again I won't have a pool
  • I'm due to have my 4th home birth (6th baby) without a pool, i've never used one although my last baby was born in the bath and i found the water helped as i had no gas and air and no midwives present lol it was a very fast labour & delivery. xx
  • had a home birth, had the pool but i didn't want to get in it - i got in the bath, felt more comfortable and it was more familiar to me i guess, gave birth 'dry' in the bedroom leaning with my arms on the bed and my knees on the floor!
    was amazing image

xxx
  • Hi, not managed the home birth YET! My second was planned to be but i had to go in to hospital to be put on a drip, but I never intended to use a pool, and shuold I get my home birth this time (fingers and toes crossed) I still don't intend to use one, i think it would just annoy me!
  • Hello
    I had a home birth without a pool for my second. I just used my bath!!! But after about half an hour i got so fed up and wanted to move around . preferred being more mobile and found i dealt with the pain better standing up..
    Having homebirth was amazing i had all my family round waiting in the living room and when my son was born they all came up to meet him . My partner was on the bed behind me as he came into the world and it was just so much more special being in our home. A home birth is wonderfull xx
  • I want a 'dry' HB

I know it sounds daft, but although I like the water aspect of a pool, I find the idea of a birth pool a bit too exposing. I will be having a bath in early labour (alone) but I am quite a self conscious person and although I know all privacy goes out of the window during labour I really don't want to be completely naked when I give birth. I wore a t-shirt for both my two previous births. If I was 100% naked I'd feel distracted. Does anyone know what I mean? :\)
  • i actauly had a homebirth in the pool in the end. 4 months ago image i just wanted to say i wasnt naked. i kep my top on throughout. i felt less exposed once i got in the water tbh
  • I agree with Calleigh I feel far less exposed in the pool than on dry land. I also wear a tankini top.
  • I hadn't thought of wearing something in the water?!! Thats made make me re-think! Thanks x
  • Hey this sounds cool. We don't really have room for a pool, and though I don't really want one, h2b is pushing for it.
    Think I will tell him I'll just use the bath.