Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth

Another question or two... UPDATED at bottom post

Hi well I had my home check today which went fine and my la bassine pool also arrived this morning.

But the midwife said that they will be on call for me from 38 weeks, if he comes any earlier i'll have to go to hospital.... is this normal....?

As he is term from 37 weeks should I not be allowed my home birth from then??
I would be very annoyed if he came in the 37th week, and even though he = classed as term and I have spent over ??130 on a birth pool I was made to go to hospital....was just wondering what my rights are here, if I have any.

And another thing, which may sound silly but this is my first baby and I am not sure...
The midwives have said that they will leave me to catch/bring the baby up myself should I have him in the pool. I feel a bit funny about this as I am rather squemish, but will happily do so.
However, how is best for me to hold/bring up the baby the baby?
Would I wait until his shoulders are out and get him under the arm pits? does his head not need supporting too, or will the water do that? I know on the day the midwife will be there to help me, but just thought i'd ask so I know anyhow. I am starting to panic a bit!

Lucretia

[Modified by: Lucretia on 13 March 2009 17:30:10 ]

Replies

• sorry me again! just to answer your questions i think when you are full term depends where you live. (unfair i know) i have been told i can have my LO at home as long as i am 37 weeks. I would ask your midwife again just to see if they will be flexible? and (sorry if i'm repeating myself) with each of my births my husband "picked" the baby out of the water (he feels this bonds him to the baby) and put them on my chest. With the first two they were born head and body with one push and just sort of floated to the surface with my third her head was born then we had to wait for the next contraction for her body to come which seemed like ages but was prob only 30 seconds! So don't worry there is no big rush to get them out of the water. They don't take there first breath until they are out. on saying that i like to get mine out and check they are ok and cuddle them ASAP. But because they are wet and can be slippery it is easier to get a hold of them under the arms their heads will be fine. Don't panic at all it will all come very natrally when it happens. (sorry about the spelling:\?) Michelle x
  • thanks Michelle image I am gonna call and try to speak to midwife on monday I think!

No chance of my OH 'delivering' baby... he has ocd, and as it is is worried he will pass out at the birth!!! lol
  • Hiya, i'd have a look at the AIMS website...i'm pretty sure that as long as you are full term (i.e.37 weeks) it is completely up to you where you give birth, if you decide to stay at home, it is the midwives duty to attend to you...they will probably try to persuade you to come into hospital, but if you're adament you want to stay at home they have to look after you there...i would have thought that the fact they provide cover for homebirths in the first place, there will be a midwife to come out to you.
  • Hi

Not planning a home birth but am planning to use the pool at midwife unit and had same conversation about lifting baby - i am scared will drop / squash / fall on baby (irrational i know but...) and midwife said they would lift if OH didn't want to - was wondering why your say they won't?

We are 37 wks as well for homebirth so I would ask again x

ps my OH also has OCD traits and when feeling mean tell him i will make him get in pool too (have secretly packed shorts!) he is trying to get his head round this - sure your man will do fine - at least he's happy for a home birth - mine would freak x
  • Hi everyone... thanks for the replies and the info about the AIMS site, I am 38+2 now though, so guess it is rather irrelevant anyhow.

Although...

I had a great appointment today with the 'consultant midwife' who I know is above the midwifes I have seen, and I am not sure, but think she may deal with alternative and home births specifically? Well it as her they sent me to anyway.

She ensured me that the midwife who attends my birth will be competant to deliver baby either in water or not.
    I asked her about a sweep and explained I really do not want to be induced if possible. She then told me she wouldnt even look at inducing me until I was 42 weeks, and even then, I can decline induction, if I agree to be monitored, which is what I had read elsewhere!

I told her that the midwives had also recommended that I limit use of aromatherapy, and to avoid lavender oil if possible, at least in early stages as it can speed up labour. At which she laughed, told me that she is trained in aromatherapy and it is totally fine to use lavender.

So all in all I left feeling a lot better.

Then this afternoon a midwife came and dropped off their plan of care for me....
    On which I look and see "The period of on call would run from 37 completed weeks to term + 11, days. If undelievered by this date lucretia would be referred for induction.'

But term + 11 is not even 42 weeks yet!!! and the midwife today told me that even at 42 weeks, if I do not want to be induced I can be monitored.

It also says that aromatherpay oils should be limited to inhalation as oils on skin or in water could compromise baby at delivery???????????
    The woman I saw today said lavender is fine, and never mentioned that I cannot use it on skin.
    I have purchased a labour massage oil which I was planning on using in the early stages, prior to getting in pool, and would wash my back first. Could this really compromise by baby does anyone know?!

And finally it states on there that if the midwives on call are attending another home birth at the time then I will need to go to hospital.
    Can I ask, is this normal? Should they not make sure they have enough midwives on call to cover for all women who are booked for home births?

If someone could advise me on this, I would be grateful.

I am tempted to call and speak to the midwife I saw today, explain what is on this care plan, and see her opinion on it....

• Hiya! I would say talk to the head midwife again. I would have thought that as she is trained in aromatherapy, her advice is better than a document that is probably out dated by now.

Also, on the letter where it says that they would refer you for induction, but you can refuse this. You can ask to just be monitored, and i think as long as you and baby are both healthy and not stressed out, they will monitor you for as long as it safe.

On the bit where it says if the on call midwife is on another homebirth you have to go into hospital, apparently they have to tell you this to cover themselves, as they only schedule 1/2 midwifes at a time, but if this midwife is at another homebirth, and you refuse to come in, they will have to send you out a hospital midwife. It's totally up to you/how you feel and how much you want to stick to your guns and stay at home.

Saying that i'm not a professional, it's just what i know from what i have read, so i would double check it all with the head midwife as she sounds really nice and supportive.
  • I would say if the head midwife has told you things different to what the letter says she will be right. the letter will be a general guide but she can over rule it. ( i would think) but if there is things you are unsure of write them down and double check. Michelle x