Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

what do we need for a homebirth

i'm 28+3 and have been planning a homebirth since day dot.
just wondering if anyone can tell me from their own personal experiences if possible, what do i need to get and/or prepapre before b-day?
thanks in advance x

Replies

• Options
    It all depends what sort of birth you want? If me a birth pool is a must have but if a waterbirth is not for you do don't really need a lot. A couple of cheep shower curtains for non slip flooring. A couple of sheets to cover the floor settee etc where you plan to give birth and a couple of towels to wrap baby in after skin to skin.
    Other than that its just things like keeping in a snack for the midwives in case they are there a while. And maybe a tens machine or aromatherapy oil for natural pain relief.
    The midwives will bring most of the thing you need with them.
    xx
  • Options
    These are the things I had:

Waterproof mattress cover (I chose to have my home birth in the bedroom)
    Old duvet and duvet cover (not essential, but my parents were throwing one out, and it was good to put on the bed)
    Absorbent maternity sheets
    Old towels
    TENS machine
    Hot water bottle (for pain relief)
    Birthing ball

I was also asked to set up a 'resus' area, just in case the baby had any problems when he was born (which he did!). This consisted of:
    A changing mat on top of my dresser
    A couple of towels
    Space for the midwife to put their equipment

I also packed a hospital bag, in case I needed to be transferred to hospital.
  • Options
    birth pool was amazing! got it from here and they were really helpful. http://www.waterbabybirthingpoolhire.co.uk/default.html
    tens machine for first 5cm for me.
    hot water bottle for early labour.
    wet flannel was a must on my belly and to wipe my head,. i used it like a comfort blanket!
    shower curtain from asda at ??1.50 each. we had 2.
    towels for cleaning you up!

back your bag. this is jiust in case you need to go in, but also my hubby found it really easy to get me anything as everything was together in a bag!
  • Options
    If you are planning a waterbirth, get lots and lots of towels. Dark ones if you want to keep them. I raided a ?? shop and got a load of them (10 I think). You may need to get out of the pool and back in again (I did, well I was actually in the bath) and you want to have enough dry towels for both you and baby when they arrive.

Straws are an essential. You may be too tired (or using your arms to support you) to hold your own drink. Ditto on even tilting your head to take a sip while someone else gives you a drink.

I would suggest lots of different snacks. When it came to my birth, i didnt want the majority - in fact i didnt want any. But at least there was a choice. Bananas are good for energy and quick to eat and easy to swallow without much effort if you're feeling exhausted.

Energy tablets - my mw brought these and they were great, particularly when I didnt want to eat anything. If you dont have sugars in your body your labour can slow down or halt. You can buy these usually at the counter at a chemist (where the cough lozenges are).

Dark sheets on your bed for after your birth. Disposable maternity sheets to put under you (for immediately after and a few days later in case of leakage).

Think about filming if you want it, video or photographs.... who will take these for you (you may prefer your partner to be there for you, not taking snapshots or being Speilberg!)?

Candles for low lighting. My birth was during the day but in our bathroom which has no window. I hated it when they turned the light on and demanded it to be switched off as it was too much in my face. Candle light was much better for me.

A torch. The mw will probably bring one anyway but Id get one just in case. My mws used a torch to check my progress in while I was in the bath so the light didnt need to be on.

• Options
    I really did not know that you can give birth in a pool, will do some research about it. Thanks for this post!
  • Options
    I have had 4 waterbirths and hey are fab! i am expecting no5 in sept and i wouldn't do it any other way!!
    xx
  • Options
    This is going to sound crazy but we got soooo much stuff ready for our waterbirth and homebirth and didn't use anything!

I didn't go in the birthing pool in the end, i didn't want to lie down on the bed so the mattress cover and cheap sheets etc didn't come into use, i bought about a hundred towels, a tens machine and lots of scented candles and 'soothing cds' and none of them go used. The only things i used were a gym ball (which we already had - i was bouncing up and down on it alllll night! to soothe my backache) and a cheap shower curtain from asda (88p) which luckily i had put down on the floor because wen my waters broke *on the loo* and i had the baby i had to walk back to my bed to lie down so they could cut cord etc and so i splashed a little on the floor and so was glad i'd covered the carpet image

xxx