Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

What to ask ..............

I'm due to see my MW tomorrow morning for my 34 week appointment. I've not had the same MW twice during the whole pregnancy so have only mentioned that I want a homebirth to two of them (one at my booking in appointment and then one at the next appointment).

I therefore thought I really need to mention it this time round so I can get it all booked in and obviously get my HB pack in a few weeks time.

The reason I'm posting is I want to know is there anything that I need to ask the MW with regard to the HB when I see her on Wednesday. The only thing that I can really thing of is what sort of things will I need to have in preparation for the HB.

If anybody can help I would much appreciate it.

Am actually hoping that I will be able to get my HB as I think baby is lying in a transverse position at the moment as when my bump goes hard its going across my stomach as opposed to down either side like it has done in previous weeks. Fingers crossed that this baby will move as I really don't want a CS.

Love and hugs
Clare & Blob
34+2

Replies

• At nearly 35 weeks you really do need to get your homebirth booked with your midwife now.
    usally they will do a home visit at 36 weeks to do a home "check" they don't really check your house just bring your homebirth pack (the things they will need for the birth) and talk you through things.
    i.e what happens in an emergancy etc..

It is worth asking when you can give birth at home? some areas it is 37-42 weeks others its 38-42 weeks.
    Also ask about pain relife some bring G&A with them other bring it with the birth pack, some areas you can have pethadine some not.
    And ask what they can do if you go over some areas offer aromatherpy or reflexology others only offer a sweep.
    And when will they do a sweep? 40 or 41+?

I hope your baby is in the right position and you get a supportive midwife but remember they can not stop you having a home birth if all is well.

xx
  • Hi did you get your questions answered?
    And is your baby in the right position?
  • Had a few of my quetions answered either by the Mw or by a friend of mine who has had 2 so feel a bit more confident going in to it. I've got another appointment next week then they'll pop out the following week for a Home Birth Chat (apparently they don't bring the equipment until the day!)

Good news baby was in the head down position

Thanks for checking on me
    xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • I'm glad all is well
    xx
  • this helped me too i am 34 weeks this week and want a HB i also have not had the same MW all the way through!!
    seeing MW tomorrow so now have an idea on what to ask!!

Thanks
  • You are very welcome.
    I hope all goes well.
    xx
  • well found out i cant have pethedine!!! POOP!! now what!
    G&A makes me sick!
    i saw yet again anothe MW! she was very nice though! and would liek her!!
    pack delivered at 37 weeks then we get the ok for HB or not!!
    also went through VIt K inj or oral! and my inj to release placenta!
    also a very good bit of advice! positions!!! i had my son 12 years ago lying in a bed! MW said this is the worst most painful way!!! even though its they way most do give birth!!
    so i sent OH to get a gym ball as i had a look and bending over seems to look good!!

xx
  • Hi i've a few pain relief ideas.
    Although i had a waterbirth i only managed to get into the pool for the last 20 mins and the G&A was broken ;-( (i love G&A)
    So for most of my labour i stood leaning over the dinning table and i had Lavender oil in a burner which i inhaled during each contration and i found it really helpped ease the pain!?? (yes i was suprised) and they say clary sage oil is even better but i had used all mine up trying to induce labour! (i went 10 days over) and i also used a TENS mashine which i found good too.
    I used a gym ball in the last few weeks to get the babe's head into the right position and in early labour.
    I hope this might help.
    xx
    P.s i had 9 1/2 years between my 1st and 2nd and the 2nd birth was by far my easiest! xx
  • wow easier!! i hope so!!
    Thanks Michelle! i will be trying all those!!!
    off to buy a burner and oils!!!
    xx
  • Don't forget you raspberry leaf tablets i swear by them. I only pushed for 10mins.
  • ooo ordered them yesterday!!!
    god i hope all this works lol!
    x thanks x
    what did u do with the clary oil to induce labour??
  • Added it to my bath water EVERY night and massaged it into my tummy (in carrier oil) not that it worked. I still went 10 days over!! ;-( lol
    xx

• oh dear lol!
    xx