Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Any homebirths set for June/July??

Hi Ladies, I'm due on the 23rd June and am planning my second homebirth. My first was a beautiful experience and I can't wait to do it again. My 2yr old will be around if she's ok with it but I have a back up plan if not. I was so into planning my first homebirth but haven't given this one much thought as yet so would be great to share the excitement with someone.

I'm hiring a heated pool this time for a treat as I found the buckets of water a bit of distraction last time. x x

Replies

• Hi Lisa
    I had been thinking about getting touch to disucss this with you!
    Ive pretty much decided now that im going to go for a home birth. Midwife said last week that they would bring a birthing pool round to the house as well as gas and air and all the other equip - not sure what!
    Hubby wasnt keen at the start, but now thinking whatever makes me happy. I just think i wil be happier being at home in my own surroundings that in a clinical hospital.
    I havent had a baby before, let alone one at home! Is there anything you think I should do or need to prepare for this experience?
    Im actually really looking forward to it - am i wierd?!
    Im trying not to make to many plans so that im not disappointed if things do go exactly that way.
    My only really thought at the moment is what if I cant cope with the pain!

What plans have you made?
    xx
  • Horray! Mrs D that is great news, I'm really happy you've decided to go for a homebirth and I really hope you have the most fansastic experience!
    Have you found the homebirth website http://www.homebirth.org.uk/ it really is the best site to help you plan a homebirth and read positive birth stories to keep you positive about your decision.
    It sounds like you have good proactive midwifes who are fulling behind you having your first baby at home and that's a really good start. My top tip would be not to tell people that you are going for a homebirth as so many feel that they need to make comment and it's mostly negative. I was told I was everything from brave to stupid!

From my experience the midwives come to your house at about 36wks with the kit which includes gas&air for you, oxygen and resus equitment and suction for the baby, emergency drugs for you and baby go in the fridge along with some local anaesthetic, and general stuff like sterile packs for examinations and suturing etc.

You're so right about being in your own surroundings making you more relaxed, and the more calm you are the better the hormone production is which enables you to have smooth and quick labour.
    As for the pain, I really did find it manageable. Of course it hurts but you are free to get into any position you wish, it whatever room you like, in the dark if that helps and you can eat to feed your contractions and work with your body. That's got to make things easier to cope with anytime!

There is a book that I really enjoyed called 'Waterbirth' by Janat Balaskas and I was fortunate enough to attend one of her waterbirth lectures which really put my husband at ease about the baby in the water etc, maybe worth a read?

As for plans, I've just ordered my pool and am doing regular swimming, walking and yoga to stay fit. Also having regular reflexology which I think really helps to achieve a natural birth.

You're going to be great hun and I think the fact you're looking forward to it means you'll do really well. Do you know which room you'll put the pool in? What will you do with your step son?

xxx
  • Hi,
    Im desperately hoping for a home birth, am due 3rd July. This is my second baby and after a really crap time with hospital birth with my daughter, really don't want to go there again.
  • Lisa Marie......thanks so much for all the advice.
    I wonder which one of us will get the experience first? I seem to remeber our due dates are faily close - im 29.06.09.

I am really happy with the midwives ive met so far, they have all been supportive of a home birth and do not see delivering a first child at home a problem, which is good.
    I always thought I would be really scared about giving birth and I guess I still have 10 weeks for that fear to kick in, but im so surprised it hasnt so far!
    I havent booked any antenatel classes, they only offer one per expectant mother in my area and im not sure i will go.....no one has mentioned booking it so far!
    I have been reading a variety of books and trying to get as much info as possible. I have also been on that website - it is really good!
    I love reading about women getting through thr labour, getting cleaned up in their own bathroom, then getting into their own bed with their husbands and new babies to get to know each other....just sounds bliss. I would hate to have gone through labour then be transfered to a ward and have load of crying babies and people everywhere and not being able to have my husband snuggled up with me and bubba lump.

I have tried to not get my hopes up too much, I know there is a chance I may have to go into hospital, so need to not be too disappointed if that happens.

I have been wondering, what would they do if you needed help getting the baby out, like forceps? Can the midwife offer this sort of assistance? If not, at what stage would they transfer you?

Im very impressed that you remebered about my step son! But he is 17, 18 on 5th July, so I dont need to worry about child care! We have joked that baby could come on his 18th birthday.....he wont forget that one!
    What are you doing with your LO? Is she excited about the new arrival?

10 weeks time, lets hope we will be sharing our home water birth stories!
    xxx
  • Yay, another homebirth! Hi comeonno2, I really hope you have a fantastic homebirth and are able to heal the wounds from your first birth!

Mrs D the only assistance a midwife can do at home is an episiotomy. If you need an assisted delivery they will bluelight you to hospital and generally will attempt forceps in theatre so they can go straight to section if they fail. The midwifes they send out to homebirths are always the most experienced and will predict problems way before they are an emergency. You are so unlikely to need an assisted delivery if you are upright and active during labour though, try not to worry. x

My little girl keeps singing songs about the baby but she is only nearly two, so I feel she may have a few problems adjusting to life with a baby. Who knows? I think it would be wonderful if she was there for the delivery though, I don't want her to grow up being scared of childbirth like I was. x
  • Thanks again for the response!
    Im really close to the hospital, so I know if I needed to get there it would not take long at all.

Can I ask what you liked/enjoyed the most about your first home birth? and also, sorry if this is a bit mush, but was there a lot of mess?

Im sure your LO will be fine. My best friend had her 2nd when her first was just 2. A year on now and they are getting on great. It took a while for her to realise that the baby needed attention too and that she couldnt change nappies and feed her like her dolly! But all is well!
    xxx
  • I liked the fact that I spent most of my labour on my knees in Mia's nursery with the lights on low. I have no idea how I ended up there but I felt so close to her and looked up at her cot and mobile after each contraction knowing that soon she would be sleeping in there.
    I loved the fact that I was in charge of my labour and the midwifes were guests in my home and were there just to guide me. We had tea and cake (I had made the day before) and talked total bollocks at 3am!
    I loved the fact we had Champagne cooling in the fridge to celebrate.......am I selling it yet?

The only messy part is the third stage and if you have a big pile of old beach towels they do the job perfectly. I was a bad aim and gave birth to the placenta on my husband's dressing gown, but I love the fact that everything washed fine and we still use the dressing gown now.

Getting into your own bed with your own mug of tea is just the best, although you do need to put something under you as you do bleed quite a bit straight after. We were expecting the GP to pop round to do the baby check so my hubby stayed up and cleared up the kitchen and Mia and I fell asleep together in bed with lots of skin to skin contact.

It really is the best day of your life and the sence of achievement you get from the homebirth is truely amazing. x x x
  • Im sold!
    It sounds soooo much better than a hospital birth....im so not into the clinical thing. I know there is some risks involved with not being in the hospital, but i think i will just have to listen to my body and the midwives and just take each step as it comes.
    I really like the thought of being at home to labour as I like being in my own surroundings and i also think hubby will respond to this better too. Being in hospital he will have to kind of do as his told rather than take a break from things in his own home.
    I already have the champers at home ready - definatly part of my birthing plan!!!

When is your wedding anniversary? Cant be long now.
    xx
  • I think it's a day before yours isn't it? May 31st. Do you have any plans? I'm too busy planning my daughter's second birthday party!
  • You have such a good memory! Yes, We got married June 1st!
    I havent planned anything, but keep thinking I should. I also need to get organised for DH's 40th Birthday on June 12th and Stepsons 18th on 5th July, both just either side of my due date.

I need to get thinking for some imaginative ideas as money is tight.

Good luck with your daughters 2nd bday - when is it?
    xx