Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

birth pool is tiny!

i pumped up my birth pool and it feels tiny. i got the birth pool in a box regular but it doesnt 'feel' big enough. do they get bigger when they have water in them if not im not sure if its gonna be a bit claustrophobic.
xx

Replies

• I've got the mini and i found it plenty big enough!?
    xx
  • i guess i just thought it would be bigger
  • I had mine in the living room. If it had been much bigger we would have had to sit in it to watch tv for the last couple of weeks! lol!
    As i said i found it plenty big enough but i don't move around much while i'm in labour! lol
    Also if It was bigger it would take a long time to fill and be harder to keep warm.
    xx
  • I have the regular one, and found it fine, wme and hubby filled it up with water and both sat in it and flaoted around, Saying that I did expect it to be bigger but it was fine
  • i think where i had watched the home birth programmes and they had hired the pool it was so much bigger. im sure it will be fine but you know when you have a pre conceived idea in your head xx
  • I am 5ft 2 and got the mini but wished I had got the refgular one as when I had a contraction I did not have much room to stretch or kick my legs. Spent 7 hours in in but unfortunately had to have a c-section in the end. Water is great for the pain!!!!!
  • we have regular. Plenty of room for me (size 16 @5ft 4ins before pregnancy) and my 6ft husband. I used sat in reclined position with hubby behind me with his legs round my waist. With each contraction I pulled in on the handles on the sides of the pool, it worked for me though the muscles in my armpits hurt for a few days! Before I was in those later stages I was on my knees leaning on the edge and looking out the window into the garden, that was lovely.

I'd try it dry. We put ours up a couple of weeks before and sat in it to watch telly. The transparent inner side does help it not to feel too closed in.