Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

home birth for no.3!!

hi everyone,m we are currently ttc no 3. with both of my babies, now 5 and 2, i had to be induced at 10 days odue as i seem to be unable to go into labour myslef lol!

i would absilutely love to have a home birth with the next one, and just wondered a few things:

last 2 times i had to be induced...am i allowed to hold off for a natural labour in order to be allowed to give birth at home? and importantly is it safe to do that?

i had group b strep (found out wiht second) so had to be given anti biotics in labour, was told if i wanted home birth last time (which i did but it didnt go to plan) i would have to opt out of getting antibiotics, also baby had to be monitored for 48 hours after birth..how would this go with home birth?

Just wondered if anyone had any experience of any of these things thanks x

Replies

• Options
    hello yes you can refuse an induction and opt for monitoring. They don't like to do this so you would have to insist! but you can. they would then ask you go go to hospital every other day so they can scan and check the placenta is still working properly. As for group b strep you can still have anti=biotic tables perscribed to take up to your labour if you want and the midwife will check the babe at birth then come and visit you. the same day if you give birth in the early hours or the next day if it is afternoon or evening. you would also be told what to look out for and if you were worried go to hospital or call the midwife.

You will probably find huge pressure put on you not to have a homebirth BUT if it is something you want to do remember it is your right and stick to your guns!
    Here is the page on the homebirth site abpout group b strep.http://www.homebirth.org.uk/gbs.htm and also going over your EDD http://www.homebirth.org.uk/overdue.htm

Good luck ttc and i hope you get the birth you want. x
  • Options
    hi thanks so much that very helpful x
  • Options
    You may also be pleasantly surprised if you get to the point where you go over your "due date". I went 11 days over and had a prolonged preg appt at the hospital at 40+7. I thought Id be in for a battle with them but they were in fact supportive and respectful of my decision to not be induced and were happy for me to continue with going in for monitoring. You arent actually overdue until after 42 wks, though hospitals do differ in what they deem overdue. At the end of the day though, it's your birth and as long as tests/monitoring say you're all ok then there is no need for them to force induction on you.
    I dont know much specifically about strep b but Michelle seems to have covered it. I cant see how they can refuse you treatment if you get this next time, and it certainly helps to be armed with the info like Michelle has provided!