Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth

Question re water birth

Hi
Am still TTC at the moment but having read lots of posts on this site about home births using birthing pools I'm really interested in investigating that route when the time comes. My question about the birthing pools is about the temperature of the water - now this may be a stupid question but how do you keep the water warm or don't you? I hate tepid water so it would really put me off the idea if the water were to go cold.

Any replies gratefully received!

Replies

• If you buy a blow up pool i.e a la bassine or birth in a box pool... the sides are thick so they keep the water warm for quite a long time and the water can be hotter for labouring in but needs to be body temperature 37.5 for the birth (this is a nice comfortable temperature) so the baby comes out into water the same temperature as the amniotic fluid. But if you are in the water for a long time all you need to do is add a couple of buckets of hot water if the water starts to get cool.
    or you can hire a hard sided pool and a water heater. But that can be more expencive than buying one?
    Good luck with TTC. I hope you get your home waterbirth when the time comes.image

• Thanks for your reply - that makes sense and makes me realize that there is a lot of investigative work to be done!
  • There are 3 good websites you could look at
    www.homebirth.org.uk &
    www.waterbirth.org &
    www.aims.org.uk
    xx