Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth

Tens machine

Do they work? I'm thinking of buying one and not sure if its a waste of money or not

Did it work for you? Did it help with the pain at all?

Thanks in advance

Lisa
32+5

Replies

• yes it worked for me. I used mine until the last 20 mins then i got into my birth pool.
    xx
  • Hi michelle, how does it work exactly? Does it just take your mind away from the contractions? Does it hurt? Does it feel like a slendertone machine on your back?

Sorry for the inquisition!
  • hi
    No problem i'm happy to answer your questions! yes it does just take your mind off the pain.

The pregnancy Tens are different to the normal one because they have a boost button so they send out an electric "pulse" (yes a bit like slendertone) onto your back you have 4 pads 2 about bra strap level and 2 at the bottom of your back and when you feel contration coming on you press boost and the pulse gets stronger and faster (DO NOT let your husband control this as mine turned it right up and it felt like someone was ficking my back really hard I nearly punched his lights out!! lolimage)
    No (when used correctly) it didn't hurt. I think it works in two ways firstly by giving you something to do (i.e remember to push the button) and when you are feeling the pulsing in your back it confuses the pain centres in your brain so you don't feel the contration pain as strongly?

It dosen't work for everyone but it did for me and as they couldn't get the G&A to work i was really gratefull for it.

They are quie expencive to buy if your not sure it will work. so I hired mine for ??18 they send it 3 weeks before your due date and you post it back when you have had the baby.
    xx