Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth

Final checks before home birth?

Hi all!

I've got my 36 week appointment with the midwife on Thursday, and I know she'll arrange to come over for a home visit too. I was just wondering whether to expect any other things before I can have my home birth? I like to be as prepared as possible, and, tbh, the midwife coming round scares the crap out of me just in case she doesn't think my flat is suitable or something, how mad do I sound now? I guess I just really badly want to have a homebirth and really don't want any confontation/ill feeling from health professionals to get in the way!

Em 36+1 x x x

Replies

• We only have a small 2 bedroom flat and our living room isnt that big, where we plan to have our birth pool. We rearranged the sofa and chairs to give us maximum room and intend to take the single chairs out when I go into labour to give us more room. The pool is surprisingly small so it doesnt take up much space. As our mw put it "how much space do you need?" So dont worry too much on that front.

I guess one thing you need to consider is the water pressure at your place. If you have a combi boiler then you shouldnt have problems filling up your pool if pressed for time, but if you have to wait for the water tank to keep filling up this could prolong it. But again, this isnt a reason she will turn around and say you cant have it at home!

If thats where you want it, and your pregnancy is going well like it is, then they cant refuse you having it at home!

Just make sure you have lots of dark towels and dark sheets, and some old pillows to kneel on when/if out of the pool.

xx
  • hi, i had my home birth check yesterday. Don't worry about it, they just go through things you need and make you aware of the procedures and potential problems. It is an opportunity for you to ask any questions.

lisa 37+3
  • Thanks for the advice, the midwife I saw today is going to call to arrange a home visit, so I'm quite pleased! I forgot to ask when I'll be far enough along to have the baby at home, I know different local authorities have different time scales, but I'm 37 weeks on Monday so I'm hoping if things were to kick off next week, it'd be ok to have the baby at home!

Em 36+3 x x x