Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Anyone have a large baby and home birth?

Hi

I really want a home birth, especially after doing my hypnobirthing course - i have a lovely vision of how it will all go!

Only problem is my caregivers are all concerned I'm expecting a big baby. At my anomoly scan at 22 weeks, baby was measuring on the 97th centile for abdominal circumference and larger than average for everything else. I was sent back for a growth scan at 26 weeks and he is still measuring big - near the 97th centile for abdominal and head circumferences and bigger than avg. all over. Part of it I think is that I actually believe I am a week further along than they think (have thought that since day 1) but even still for 23 weeks / 27 weeks he was still measuring a bit on the big side. I have had glucose & thyroid tests and everything is fine, he's growing at a steady normal rate, just bigger than average.

As this is my first baby, they seem to be making quite a fuss about it which is annoying me, as I feel like they are trying to frighten me, when they should be reassuring me! Anyway, I said at my last midwife appointment I was still hoping for a home birth and one of the midwives (there were 2 there) pulled a face but the other one said 'you'll be fine, you'll push him out'. The first one said she might just recommend another growth scan at 38 weeks.

Do you think if he's still measuring large at that scan that they'll strongly advise me to rethink? I should point out that my midwives are all very pro-home birth, and my hospital has nice 'home from home' rooms, but I'd still rather be at home. Also, I feel like I'm being scaremongered a bit.

Any POSITIVE experiences of birthing large babies, or size predictions that were wrong, or home birthing a larger baby would be very much appreciated. Realistic advice is also very much appreciated but please no more scaremongering!!! :roll:

Replies

• Options
    Hi - I hope I can reassure you in a few different ways. Firstly, 2 days before my first son was born I had a scan and the consultant estimated that he would be an average size of about 7-8lbs then he was born at 9lbs 8 1/2 oz! I know of a lot of estimated weights which have been way out. predicting both too big and too small.
    My 2nd son was also born in hospital due to placenta previa and weighed 10lbs 3 1/2 oz so although I was desperate for a home birth which I'd always wanted with my 3rd I was a bit concerned about having another large baby. She turned out to be 9lbs 2oz so the smallest but obviously I didn't know that and still went ahead with my home birth. I knew I was having a girl and after 2 boys she was obviously going to be very precious but I didn't feel that I was taking a risk as I had a fantastic midwife who I knew would be able to deal with any problem.
    I hire out birthing pools and remember one mum had a 4th boy in the pool weighing 11lbs with no problems and another who also had a 11lb baby at home. With the 2nd lady, the labour had slowed down at the end and the midwife with her calmly suggested that she get out the pool (worried about a shoulder dystocia where baby gets stuck) and when the woman stood up to get out the 11lb baby literally dropped out due to gravity. That story definately kept me going and reassured me.
    My sister had her 3 big babies in hospital but with the last one being 10lbs 10oz she didn't even tear and wished she'd had a home birth! There are going to be those awful few times when there are problems but midwives can usually foresee any problems and would transfer you in if they had any concerns.
    The chances are that if you are at home you will have a much better labour anyway - when it came down to mine, I was enjoying the whole experience so much that it didn't even occur to me that she would get stuck and considering her head was out for 2 1/2 mins before the rest of her literally slid out if I'd have been in hospital I know they would have panicked and I would have ended up with another instrumental delivery.
    I am so pro home birth and especially with your first you want to have a good experience and not end up with a cesearian which would then reduce your chance of a home birth with subsequent babies. You would kick yourself if baby was smaller than predicted and you had given in to pressure and ended up in hospital.
    There are always risks in childbirth and tragedies do happen but they are much less likely at home. Talk through all your fears with your midwives but stick to your decision if you want a home birth and have a great birth!! xx
  • Options
    Thanks Arg!
    I do really want a home birth or at least to give it a go and if I need to transfer then I'm prepared for that possibility. As I said in my last post, I feel a bit like I'm being frightened into a hospital birth, not so much by my midwives, but by everyone else (from the hospital staff to my friends and family) because he is measuring big, but I believe that I can still do this and just because he may (or may not!!!) be bigger than average, doesn't mean it has to be complicated.
    I also read the stories on the homebirth.org website about ladies who had larger babies at home and that made me feel better too image
    Cheers! x
  • Options
    Hi, I had my first 2 children in hospital but went for a home birth with my 3rd. He weighed 9lb 7oz and both me and baby where fine. I had my 4th at home too and i had a growth scan at 38wks and he was estimated to weigh 8lb 10oz at that time but i went 1 wk over, so 3 wks later after the scan when he was born and weighed 10lb 4oz we were all very shocked!! I'm only 5'1 myself and i never measure big on the charts, it's only when i have them that we realise what i'd been carrying! lol My last baby wasn't even weighed until midday the next day becaus the midwives only had 1 set of scales in the area, so he probably would have weighed more had he been weighed right after birth. Despite the weights of my babies and the fact they are getting bigger, i'm due my 5th in 5wks time and i'm planning another home birth. The midwife hasn't sent me for a growth scan because i'm not measuring big, but they are allowing it so fingers crossed all goes well. good luck i hope you get the birth you want. xx
  • Options
    I am planning a home birth and yes expecting a large baby, though falls in the higher range of average for my height and weight.

I am 35+4 and when I saw the midwife on thurs according to the fundal height messurement he was just over 6lbs already, she said to expect at least an 8 pounder.... "at least"....

I must admitt, I am a bit worried now, as this is my first baby and I really want this home birth but am worried about anything going wrong.
    My pregnancy has been perfect/textbook so far though, no problems with me or baby.

Can anyone reassure me at all?? lol

xx
  • Options
    I got pregnant with my first baby when i was just 17!! i had my daughter exactly a month after my 18 and she weighed 8lb 14 & 1/2 oz. I did have her in hospital but i hope i can reassure you by saying that i was young and really didn't have a clue what was to come and what i was doing! It all went well for me and my daughter who is now 9. If i can do im sure you can do it, you just need to 'go with what your body is telling you' as the midwives might say but it's true!!
    It can't have put me off cos i'm due my 5th in 5wks lol!!
    I went to my midwife (who i've only seen 3 or 4 times in total) about 3 wks ago, i was measuring right for dates but as i said before, for me this means nothing because i measured right for dates last time and he weighed 10lb 4oz so who knows what this little one will weigh but they are still letting me have home birth. Sorry to ramble but just want you to not panick and 'enjoy' the birth. good luck girls xxx