Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Experience of Homebirth in Leeds Area? Obstructive M/Ws?

Hi all

I was just wanting advice from anyone who has had had expereience of a homebirth? I have been asking my midwife about it since my furst antenatal appointment. She has never said no, but she keeps saying that they will review and book me in at 37 weeks.

I am thinking that surely they should book you in a soon as they know you want one and then cancel if needed later on??

I am just worried that they nothave enough staff in the day tocome to my homebirth ndthen I will subsequently have to go in for a hospital birth that I DO NOT want!

I am considering an independent midwife, but it's so expensive.

Does anyone have any advice?

Replies

• Options
    Hey i could send you the details of the Leeds NCT homebirth group, they lady who volunteers for them is great and will know all the best people in your area to speak to and which avenues are best to get the type of birth you would like. Your email button isn't activated but if you click on mine then send a quick mail then i can email you back with the details as don't really want to post her personals on here.
    Jo xxx
  • Options
    Hi there

I live in the South so can't really comment on what it's like in Leeds.

But I would recommend that you contact the Association for the Improvement of Maternity Services (AIMS)

http://www.aims.org.uk/

they can help you with what your rights are and can clear up common misconceptions about homebirths that midwives and doctors often rely on to get you to go to hospital.

You could also read Homebirth a Practical Guide by Nicky Wesson which is quite empowering as it goes through strategies to get the home birth you are entitled to.

Hope that helps

Sxx
  • Options
    I love Nicky Wesson and difinitely second recommending her book, even the difficult stories illustrate the strength of women. Its a real insight too into how homebirth has declined and how labour and birth has become such an overly medicalised procedure.
    Jo xx

[Modified by: Jojomummy on August 13, 2010 09:53 PM]

• Options
    Hi hun,

Not in Leeds but close by. I told my mw at my booking that I wanted a home birth and she wrote it in my notes, but in reality they can't actually book you in for it until you are 37 weeks anyway as if you laboured any earlier they would take you into hospital to deliver the baby. To be fair though, they wouldn't book you in with the hospital until then either......

She's probably just being cautious hun.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone. I've met with some ladies at Leeds homebirth group - very helpful. I suppose I will have to wait for 37 weeks. I saw the Independent MW - all sounded great, apart from I donlt think I can justify 3K, especially with all the tax I pay. I'll let you know how I get on. x