Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Advice and opinions very much needed please

Hii everyone.

I am 36 weeks pregnant on wednesday with my first baby and planning a home waterbirth. I've bought the sheets for the floor etc already, and oh is all set to order a la bassine birth pool tonight.

I have recently moved to a new home to make room for baby and went for my booking appointment with the midwifes today to explain my plans for a home birth.

What I was met with was not what I had expected and I spent a good few minutes sat there in tears.
First let me say, all the midwifes were really pro home birth, agreed it is better than a hospital birth, and even lower risk!!! They confirmed what I had already been told, that there are less interventions and it is a lot less stressful for the mother, etc. They were not at all against home births.

However the problem came here; they dont tend to do any! In the area there as just no women who really want home births. More so the big problem for me though.... They are not trained in waterbirths image
Because my borough (sandwell) does not currently have a birth pool at the hospital. They are getting one put in, but don't have one yet. There for there is only one midwife there who has seen a waterbirth any time recently, and two others who have (including midwife I saw today) but going back like 7/8 years.
They said that they WILL still attend me in labour, and I can still use the pool, BUT depending on what midwife comes out to me, if they do not feel confident with me being in the pool, they may ask me to get out when it comes time to push!

I was distraught, as I really want a water birth, for many reasons I wont go into, but all the usual I would guess. However when I said 'is it really that different? the baby doesnt take a breath until they reach the surface anyway' the midwife agreed with me and said, if she were on call, she would do my waterbirth.. it just totally depends on which midwife I have.

She and the head midwife at the surgery are coming out to see me on thursday morning and do the home check anyhow, but my question is this:
Would you still proceed?

I do not want to do ANYTHING to put my baby at risk.... Do you think it matters if the midwife hasnt been trained specifically in waterbirth? They are still trained in every other aspect! They said that it would be left to me to guide the baby out of the water onto my chest anyhow! Which is normal practice for waterbirth?

I just want to know if you think it would be irresponsible of me to still go ahead with this knowing that the midwife who attends me may not be trained in waterbirth....though should they not feel happy with the situation they would ask me to get out of the pool to push anyway... at least its still in my own environment and by the time you come to push at hospital its too late for any epidural or pethedine anyway yes?

I have had a textbook pregnancy so far, my iron levels are fine, so is blood pressure, no gestational diabetes, no problems with baby, so the midwife said she see's no reason why I cannot have this baby at home.

Opinions please? sorry for the rant!

Replies

• Your situation is similar to mine although we at least have a few midwies trained in water birth but again it usually depends on who you get at the time. I was extremely fortunate with mine to have 2 on call for me that could do water births but someone else I know in the same area was going to have to depend on whoever came out at the time until I suggested that she spoke to the head of midwifery who then put someone on call for her.
    I have always had a problem with water birth training as you are right that it is mainly hands off and easier than a non water birth but there are certain things that I would feel happier if the midwife was actually water birth trained or very experienced (ie knowing how often to monitor you whilst in the pool).
    I would suggest that you talk to the head of midwifery (is that who you are seeing on Thursday?) and let them know your concerns and how desperate you are for a water birth and see what they can come up with. It might be easy to solve.
    Your only other option to guarantee a water birth and depending on finances would be to go for an independent midwife. I have to admit that if I have another baby I might save up for one as my last midwife has left and the other is now working in the hospital and I would be devestated to have the option of a water birth taken away from me after our last amazing water birth.
    Why don't you see how it goes on Thursday then if you haven't found a solution we will have a rethink!
    I can understand why you feel so upset (I felt the same when my mw said she had annual leave the week after lo was due but it all worked out when I met the other one at home birth group) but hopefully things will sort themselves out and you will have a wonderfrul home water birth!! xx
  • There is no way we can afford an independant midwife.. I am not working at the moment and my partner is a student image The women coming out on thursday (there are two midwifes) are not the head of midwifery, though they have said that they will get her to contact me...They are experienced though and have each been working as midwives for around 8 years. they mentioned one option may be that if no midwifes feel competent to do the waterbirth, to see if they can get out a midwife from the neighbouring hospital which does have a pool, though I dont know if that was a definate, or just a possibility.

I am just hoping that one of those 3 midwifes are on call at the time, but as there are only 2 midwifes on call at any one time it seems unlikely. Oh well I will just discuss it on thursday, and then speak to the head of midwifery like you said.

We have ordered my pool now, as we couldnt really leave it any longer being 36 weeks. We went for the la bassine.

[Modified by: Lucretia on February 23, 2009 08:24 PM]

• Hi I have had this problem don't let them put you off if it is what you want! (i had a home/water birth with my 1st) I moved just before my second child was born and was told the same, no midwives trained in water births and they don't really do many waterbirths round here! So i agreed to go to the local midwife unit. This time with my 4th child the midwife unit said i could not go there and as i now know my midwife quite well (after seeing her through 3 pregnancys) she has said this time i'm fine to have a home waterbirth they will get a trained midwife from a neighbouring hospital!! I wish now i had pushed with the 2nd (although the house wasn't really ready) The other thing is they can not make you get out of the pool and if all is going well i can not see they will. but if they are not confident they may ask you to get out from time to time so they can monitor you and the baby this should only take a couple of mins (i did this a couple of times with my 1st as it was the midwifes 1st waterbirth) So when they come to see you stick to your guns as i have found this is the only way you get what you want. I have come up against some real hostilaty from the head midwife at the hospital (her last coment to my midwife was "Tell THE WOMAN she can have what ever she wants") but i am determined to have the birth i want not what she wants!! My midwife and hospital consultant agree there is no medical reason why i shouldn't deliver in water at home so that is the plan! And now it is agreed i feel like a weight has been lifted! I hope you get the birth you want, best wishes x
  • thank you michelle, it makes me feel a lot better to hear that the midwife who delivered your baby - it was her first waterbirth too, and also that they do have access to get out midwifes from neighbouring hospitals.
    I will push for this when i speak to the head midwife!

After reading bits and pieces online last night I feel I am still going to go for my waterbirth as I do not feel I am putting my baby at any more risk than having him on my bed! However at the first sign of anything being wrong I will obviously comply with the midwife who comes out to me and get out of the pool or gods forbid transfer in to hospital.

Hope I am making the right decision, but my partner and MIL back me on it. image
  • That is just how i feel Lucretia and have said so to my midwife If there are any problems i will do what ever they say. But i know i feel much more relaxed and more likely to have a happy birth in the water. If you feel it is the right decition for you then it is! Good luck. x
  • P.s yes it normal for them to let you or your OH to get the baby out of the water when they are born My husband loves doing this and feels he delivered the baby single handed! LOL This is all part of the magic for me and a lovely bonding experience for dad and baby. x